last letter from Lee

CCMDCSA

Sergeant
A Maryland school with strong historical ties to the confederacy and my place of employment currently has the last letter written by general Lee in there archives the letter addressed to a Mr Target and the man responsible for the schools chapel was a close personal friend of Lee's the letter written two weeks before Lee's death even says how general Lee is feeling much better from a recent ailment

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Very cool!

Is the cursive hard to read because of the age or is it just not very legible? As a general rule, I always thought Lee had gorgeous penmanship, but now that I think of it, all the stuff I've seen was either from before or during the war. I can see how his handwriting may have inevitably declined toward the end of his life.

Zella

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
But like I admitted I don't really have a eye for that type of writing but it was very neat and easy to admire the school itself as a very interesting history but the Lee letter tops it all
Yes, that is really cool! :smile:

Truthfully, I notice lovely penmanship like Lee's because my own is so bad. LOL I have actually been banned from writing things by hand at multiple jobs. :wink:

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!