Large New Unit Forming!

Retired User BL

Retired User
Myself and other invidiudals from a different time period re-enacting groups re starting a civil war group. None of us have done civil war. We are doing Union infantry early war 1861/62 impression. Preferably we would like to do a German heritage unit or any specific unit that had unique uniform items.

I have a few questions about civil war. I will be the “officer” of the unit so I have some unique questions.

1. What is the BEST place to shop for uniforms that are highly authentic? we want everyone in the unit to have the same exact uniform make and model. But also we want them to be quickly made (not having to wait 3 months for boots etc)

2. Where can we get the cap insignia? If we wanted to portray for example the 10th regiment of infantry, A company, where would we get the A, 10 and horn cup isnignia?

3. Do most units use Hardee’s drill manual? Where can we find PDFs or examples of how to drill and run a company?

4. Our members are located in the mid Atlantic region. I’m assuming most events are there, however what are some cool mainstream and non mainstream ones?

5. What are necessary unit purchases? For example in WWII, units might purchase vehicles, kitchens or crew served weapons. In civil war, would we just buy larger white tents?

6. Any other links or resources I should know about?

Before anyone asks that we should join a unit that is already established, we wish to maintain our own organic unit as opposed to falling into someone’s massive group.

Myself and other invidiudals from a different time period re-enacting groups re starting a civil war group. None of us have done civil war. We are doing Union infantry early war 1861/62 impression. Preferably we would like to do a German heritage unit or any specific unit that had unique uniform items.

I have a few questions about civil war. I will be the “officer” of the unit so I have some unique questions. I might suggest doing an NCO impression, one of the notable things is far too many officer impressions out there.

1. What is the BEST place to shop for uniforms that are highly authentic? we want everyone in the unit to have the same exact uniform make and model. But also we want them to be quickly made (not having to wait 3 months for boots etc) There are a variety of good vendors out there but there is no one single one stop shop. I'm a fan of Missouri Boot & Shoe for shoes and leathers. Stony Brook Company for trousers (they also have an outstanding consignment page) Wambaugh and White for sack coats. Regimental Quartermaster has an excellent campaigner corner. When it comes to weapons I always suggest Lodgewood first and advise a custom made up from a combo of original and repop parts.

2. Where can we get the cap insignia? If we wanted to portray for example the 10th regiment of infantry, A company, where would we get the A, 10 and horn cup isnignia? I would actually advise against brass on the hat, less is more and when looking at pictures it isn't always on the hat or cap.

3. Do most units use Hardee’s drill manual? Where can we find PDFs or examples of how to drill and run a company? Hardees or Casey's... they are easily found via google but I advise to purchase a period reprint, looks good when checking it in front of the public.

4. Our members are located in the mid Atlantic region. I’m assuming most events are there, however what are some cool mainstream and non mainstream ones? I don't play war doing only Living history and presentations. So I can't answer that.

5. What are necessary unit purchases? For example in WWII, units might purchase vehicles, kitchens or crew served weapons. In civil war, would we just buy larger white tents? I would advise no more than a set of period skillets and pots, maybe a few ammo crates and hardtack boxes. I prefer to carry no more than absolutely necessary: a blanket, poncho or ground cloth etc.

Below are some links to threads on this forum

https://civilwartalk.com/forums/impressions-of-the-civil-war.140/
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/acw-gear-photos.73203/
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/original-acw-arms.75615/
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/french-belgian-infantry-arms-of-the-acw.152042/

Before anyone asks that we should join a unit that is already established, we wish to maintain our own organic unit as opposed to falling into someone’s massive group.
Good luck. There are a few Living Historians and Re-enactors who frequent this site. So feel free to ask questions.

I have a few questions about civil war. I will be the “officer” of the unit so I have some unique questions.

1. What is the BEST place to shop for uniforms that are highly authentic? we want everyone in the unit to have the same exact uniform make and model. But also we want them to be quickly made (not having to wait 3 months for boots etc)

2. Where can we get the cap insignia? If we wanted to portray for example the 10th regiment of infantry, A company, where would we get the A, 10 and horn cup isnignia?

3. Do most units use Hardee’s drill manual? Where can we find PDFs or examples of how to drill and run a company?

4. Our members are located in the mid Atlantic region. I’m assuming most events are there, however what are some cool mainstream and non mainstream ones?

5. What are necessary unit purchases? For example in WWII, units might purchase vehicles, kitchens or crew served weapons. In civil war, would we just buy larger white tents?

Welcome! There are Facebook groups and You tube videos with insight. You can find uniforms on Ebay, Etsy and Sutler websites but do your research, not all will be authentic so you may need to do a bit of "sprucing" up to look that way. I know some of my male reenactor friends have used this guy too: http://www.pakbadgeent.com/?fbclid=IwAR3r35mGOz5G_I9rwBq5bsIBRnrC4IUvCYrEPwnhIaUBwdLYuiV1JU53mV0

Good luck with your new unit. I commented on sutlers on your other thread. The official Federal manual was Casey's Infantry Tactics although it's pretty much the Federal version of the revised Hardee's manual. I wouldn't worry too much about unit purchases. It's up to the individuals to get themselves outfitted. When you get things going then maybe you can get some unit things like some cooking tools and things like that. I read in one of your other threads you are looking to do an early war German heritage type thing. If it were me I'd concentrate on putting together the basic Federal infantry impression to start with then worry about the unique items later for special occasions and early war events. It will open up a lot more events for you if you really want to be authentic. With the exception of a few Zouave units once the unique type uniforms wore out, which didn't take long, they were usually replaced with standard issue gear. Again good luck with it and there are several veteran reenactors here that are happy to give their advice and hope to see you on the field sometime soon.

Oh and if you search Youtube there's tons of stuff on drill for both Hardee's and Casey's that will help but there's nothing like experience. Try your best to recruit an experienced person to help with drill or align yourself with another unit and participate in drill. They only way to really get a grasp on it is doing it.

Preferably we would like to do a German heritage unit or any specific unit that had unique uniform items.

Do some research and you'll find that the vast majority of "ethnic" regiments would have a uniform no different than the standard Federal uniform. If you are insistent on portraying a Dutch regiment, there a few, like the 9th Ohio, 9th Wisconsin, 52nd New York, 74th Pennsylvania, etc. However, if you do decide to portray Lopears, keep in mind that nothing in their outward appearance would be any different than any other Federal regiment.

You can have one or the other. Honestly, a 3 month wait is not too bad and is about average from most of the quality makers. Several makers have already been listed. You could try and contact them for a group purchase. And avoid the cookie cutter look. Study period images and you will see that guys in the same company often had slight variants in their uniforms and equipage. Something as subtle as a handful of JT Martin blouses made of varying shades of cloth looks a lot better than hundred dudes in the same polyester jacket.

You should really do research before going out and starting a new unit. Reenacting other times periods is cool and all, but I really don't think experience reenacting one era is relevant to another.

Best of luck

I don't have much to offer here besides looking on c&c subtlety which has a good variety of uniforms and weapons which if y'all are in a Yankee unit then the Springfeild would be ideal and ya mentioned uniforms all looking the same so for weapons if that applies the Springfield would be best. And I was just curious but how are ya gonna start an official unit that can participate , I'm just asking because I'm just curious because I wonder if some units tried to be formed but we rent recognized if that makes sense but the best of luck to you.

I would put my view on this as to someone who recently got into the hobby. First do your research on the type and style of uniform that you want to protray. then even though your own company i would still fall in w/ another unit to be able to learn very important things if you were going to go out fighting. Second, i would get things in stages cause it can get very expensive when you have to put out for a uniform, boots, musket that you can easily spend over $2500 on just that alone. if the event is close then you can do a day trip there w/o setting up a tent til you get things there. If you can each person of the unit to supply something to kitchen area that might be a way to go. Also, the most important thing is that the more stuff you get, you might end up getting a trailer to haul all of this around.

Back