Is this cannon missing something?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
It is a stock photo of the Wiard 6-pdr cannon from on line so I am not sure it is a replica or not. Do they even make repilcas of these? My question is, why is their no cascabel to attach arresting ropes to deal with the recoiled of firing the cannon? The Wiard Rifle System must have dealt with recoil by another method.

Now I will keep thinking about this to I read more on the Wiard Rifle System.

So what is puddled wrought iron (semi-steel) and where was the "puddle"?

redbob

Captain
It is a stock photo of the Wiard 6-pdr cannon from on line so I am not sure it is a replica or not. Do they even make repilcas of these? My question is, why is their no cascabel to attach arresting ropes to deal with the recoiled of firing the cannon? The Wiard Rifle System must have dealt with recoil by another method.

Puddling is when iron ore is put into a molten state without the ore actually coming in contact with the fuel (only the combustion gases).
Replicas of the Wiard Rifle are made by at least one manufacturer.
Wiard Rifles came in 6 & 12 pounders and besides not having a casabel, they had a rather peculiar carriage, unusual sights and the ability to be elevated much higher than a normal piece. Photo LoC
206 (2).jpg

Kurt G

Sergeant

Steen Cannons does make a decorative ( non -functioning) replica

TerryB

Major

I think it's from Stones River Battlefield.

TerryB

Major
At one time they had a Wiard gun at Stones River that had been dismounted to look like it was disabled. For some reason they changed that a few years back. I think they have at least two in front of the visitor's center.
6-pounder_Wiard_cannon_at_Stones_River_National_Battlefield.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Serpa

Major
Puddling is when iron ore is put into a molten state without the ore actually coming in contact with the fuel (only the combustion gases).
Replicas of the Wiard Rifle are made by at least one manufacturer.
Wiard Rifles came in 6 & 12 pounders and besides not having a casabel, they had a rather peculiar carriage, unusual sights and the ability to be elevated much higher than a normal piece. Photo LoCView attachment 305186
The LOC identifies the man as Gen. Daniel E. Sickles.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
I think that aside from not having any sights installed, that appears to be the correct shape barrel for that piece.

I’ve seen one of these guns before and I think there are some sockets for the rear sight to fit into behind the vent hole. Looking at the glare in the photo, I don’t see that.

If this gun is mounted on the battlefield the sockets may be filled, or the barrel could be upside-down... or it’s a repro and they didn’t bother with that detail.

TomP

Sergeant
Any thoughts on the puddled wrought iron (semi-steel) rifle?
View attachment 305155
The Wiard in this image is NOT a replica. This photo was taken several years ago at Shiloh. This particular 3.67 inch (12 pounder) rifle used to stand in front of the National Cemetery gates but it has since been moved to a new location. Shiloh has six wiards of this size as well as eight of the 2.6 inch (6 pounder) rifles. Over the last two years the park has purchased a number of replica Wiard carriages to display the tubes. These carriages have the unique teardrop-shaped cheeks as well as the wheels which were designed to be repaired in the field instead of replaced.

Lampasas Bill

Private
This mortar was discussed an a previous thread. It is a war trophy, a French mortar from the French and Indian War. For lack of a carriage, it is buried in the ground at the U. S. arsenal in Washington D.C.

Patrick H

Lt. Colonel
I've checked back in from time to time, and I admit I haven't studiously read every single post. Do we have an explanation of how the cannon was ignited? If so, I've missed it. Maybe it was my bad.