1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!
Dismiss Notice
--- Please Take Note! ---
All discussions about the removal of Confederate Monuments must be restricted to the following two threads. Any other new threads about monument removal will be deleted without warning.
- New Orleans Monuments
- St. Louis Monument
Thanks for your understanding on this issue!

Iron Musket Ball?!

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by skb8721, Apr 19, 2017.

1. skb8721

skb8721 Private

I finally got permission from a landowner to metal detect in a sugarcane field used briefly as an encampment by the US 19th Army Corps (according to a hand-drawn Federal map from the period). Besides a couple small unidentifiable metal pieces, and a shell from a .38 Special, I did find the below ball, which measures .56 caliber . . . a common enough Civil War caliber. But this thing is made of iron, not lead. So I'm thinking it's actually a ball bearing. But what do you all think?

FullSizeRender (15).jpg

JohnW. likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

Very likely an iron Case shot ball. Search nearby for iron fragments to help confirm. Congrats!!

tbuckley and JohnW. like this.
  4. skb8721

skb8721 Private

Well, the spot where I found the ball, besides being in an encampment, is about 700 feet from the site of an April 1863 skirmish. I only got to search a very small section of the field in question, but I hope to go back shortly (maybe tomorrow). It's literally about 5 minutes from my house.

JohnW., Specster and Jobe Holiday like this.
  5. skb8721

skb8721 Private

I was trying to be skeptical by writing off this ball as "probably a ball bearing" so I'm pleasantly surprised by the suggestion it could be case shot. Is there anyone else who thinks it could be case shot, or, conversely, a ball bearing?

JohnW. likes this.
  6. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

I agree with Allan. Canister shot

JohnW. and alan polk like this.
  7. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

Like I said, it is very likely. You're going to have to get back out there and search for fragments. If you find fragments to a Case shot projectile, not just regular shell fragments, then you can state with reasonable confidence that it is a Case shot ball and not a ball bearing.

JohnW. likes this.
  8. skb8721

skb8721 Private

So today in less than 45 minutes I found three more iron balls, all .56 caliber, in the same location. . . . FullSizeRender (16).jpg

9. JohnW.

JohnW. First Sergeant Member of the Month

Definitely canister

10. alan polk

alan polk First Sergeant

I think the items are much too small to be canister. I'm gonna stick with Case shot. Skb, your on a good spot. Now just dig every signal!

11. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com Sergeant Major Forum Host

Case shot defiantly

12. skb8721

skb8721 Private

I plan to go back to the spot on Sunday, unless it rains. Last evening I spent 45 minutes in that hot spot, but by no means did I search the entire hot spot; then I switched for another 45 minutes to a different field owned by the same landowner but that's closer to the skirmish site (as I understand the skirmish to have happened) and there I found nothing CW-related. But I need to keep looking there, too.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Jobe Holiday likes this.
  13. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Well case or canister doesn't matter as long as you found it. Good luck in your searching.

alan polk likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)