Interview: Longstreet on Jackson

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

War Horse

Captain
Forum Host
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
I do also.
Although calling Jackson “a man of military ability“ is a of course huge understatement!
But Jackson was a strange guy, he did not drink and did not gamble , while early in the war before he lost three of his kids in one week, which changed him greatly, Longstreets HQ was a place where neither whiskey nor poker games were uncommon. I can imagine that Longstreet and Jackson did not harmonize too well on a personal level.
We had an interesting thread on the Longstreet/Jackson relationship a while ago:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-relationship-of-jackson-and-longstreet.123881/
Are you kidding me, polar opposites would be more accurate. :smile:

rpkennedy

Major
Member of the Month
There was certainly a distaste. On more than one occasion, Jackson was tardy to the ball. They were a great tandem which Lee recognized. Between the two of them the room was to small for the two of them. Lol
They were very different men and it would be difficult for them to be friendly. Of course, Jackson was friendly with very few people.

Ryan

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Another very insightful assessment. Thanks for sharing.
I, too, had not heard (or have forgotten) that Longstreet suggested Jackson 'go west'. That might have been a 'game changer'!