1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Information needed

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Tony8, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Tony8

Tony8 Cadet

Need help.
    I would like to use the enclosed photo in a story I am writing, but I have no idea if it is copyrighted or not.
    This photo was taken about 1890 of the Trostle farm. Does anyone know if the picture can be used by the public or is there restriction on this picture?
    Thanks,
    Tony8

Attached Files:

Gettysburg Greg and RI-Tom like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. RI-Tom

RI-Tom Cadet

Great question. Where did you find the photo?

E_just_E likes this.
  4. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Welcome, enjoy to both of you

RI-Tom likes this.
  5. E_just_E

E_just_E 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Maybe.
    You will need to do some research about the photo. For pre-1978 items, copyright is good for the shortest of 120 years from creation of 95 years of first publication. Unless it is renewed.

As far as publishing goes, most publishers require explicit details about copyright on images etc, as well as attribution. So you need to do some research about the copyright and the photographer. "Trostle farm, Gettysburg, PA, Unknown photographer, c.1890" is a semi-kosher attribution, but one should do better, and that takes a bit of actual leg work sometimes...

RI-Tom likes this.
  6. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher 2nd Lieutenant

is this the same? it showed up here some time ago

google picture search seems to tie it to some 2013 film

but then it's a gettysburg pic - we've got the man for you @Gettysburg Greg show thyself

Gettysburg Greg and RI-Tom like this.
  7. RI-Tom

RI-Tom Cadet

Schwallanscher, your "this" link seems to be broken. Can you provide the actual address?

8. Schwallanscher

Schwallanscher 2nd Lieutenant

9. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Captain

10. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

Hello, @Tony8, I am no help answering your copyright question, but I am familiar with this photo. Scott F is hour guy for that info. I came across it a few years ago and being a then and now guy I noticed completely coincidentally, I had taken a telephoto shot from near the Peach Orchard towards the Trostle Barn. I was just trying to grab a quick shot of the double decker bus as it passed the barn and it happens to approximate the angle of the ca. 1890 photo you posted. Of course, I was much further away than the original camera position so the perspective is quite different, but here is what the two look like together.
    barn combo.jpg

11. RI-Tom

RI-Tom Cadet

@Gettysburg Greg, do you know what these structures are in the background above the Trostle house?

Attached Files:

Gettysburg Greg likes this.
  12. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

I would say the Pa. Monument could be one, but not sure about the one closest to camera. Appears to be along Hancock Avenue. I was thinking maybe the Vermont monument, but it is father away than the Pa.
    Here is a google map showing the line of sight does appear to intersect the Pa. Monument.
    trostle.jpg

RI-Tom and Schwallanscher like this.
  13. E_just_E

E_just_E 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

They look like silos around Tarneytown Rd. Not sure what was there in the early 1900s. Should be close and a bit S to the Jacob Hummelbaugh Farm.

RI-Tom and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  14. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

You are probably right, makes sense.

RI-Tom likes this.
  15. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

Hummelbaugh is a good choice, particularly if that is Culp's Hill in the distance near the center of the image. Other possibilities would be the Solomon Cassatt farm, whose barn was the first stop made by Meade after he left the Leister cottage during the July 3 cannonade, and was where Butterfield was wounded. Or the William Patterson farm, whose barn was used as a field hospital. But during the time of the battle some intervening woods might have blocked the Cassatt and Patterson farms from view.

Scott F, RI-Tom and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  16. Scott F

Scott F Private

It could not be the Pa monument, that was not erected till 1910. I would have to get a high res copy to speculate any further. To answer the original question, goberg4 posted it back in 2013. He is a friend of mine so I will ask him where he got it. I need to ask him a tree question anyway. He uses a lot of Tipton photos in his posts so that is most likely the photographer. If so it will most likely be found in the ACHS or the GNMP. For the Adams County Historical Society the fee to publish is 50 or 75 dollars and you would have to provide a copy of your book to them to have in their library. The GNMP just credit is needed. You would contact John Heiser at the park library and if they have it, he would be able to locate it for you. Hope this info helps and good luck with your story.

RI-Tom and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  17. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

Yes, I thought about the Pa. monument after I had already posted the pic, thanks Scott.

Scott F likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)