History How to Cook a Husband ;-)

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I bet that title got your attention, right? Well this is a tongue in cheek recipe from according to the source a cookbook from 1700. No actual husbands were harmed in the making of this recipe - I think! :wink:
IMG_0875.jpg
I discovered this in a box in my basement when going through some old Christmas decorations. It's from the 1964 Farmers' Almanac and has some other less cannibalistic recipes I'll share later this week. :tongue:

I've been trying to track down the original source from 1700 but have only found a somewhat similar "recipe " here accredited to Elizabeth Strong Worthington, who was a writer in the late 19th century.

I bet that title got your attention, right? Well this is a tongue in cheek recipe from according to the source a cookbook from 1700. No actual husbands were harmed in the making of this recipe - I think! :wink:
View attachment 172436
I discovered this in a box in my basement when going through some old Christmas decorations. It's from the 1964 Farmers' Almanac and has some other less cannibalistic recipes I'll share later this week. :tongue:

I've been trying to track down the original source from 1700 but have only found a somewhat similar "recipe " here accredited to Elizabeth Strong Worthington, who was a writer in the late 19th century.

This is too funny! I'll have to show it to my wife tonight; I think she did an excellent job of cooking her husband. :tongue:

This is by far the most interesting thing I have read today. Do they have a guide for the other gender? I am asking for a friend.

Hmm...a quick internet search turned this gem up - not exactly in the same vain, but similar -

How to Cook a Wife

• Having caught a wife, light the fire of love and see that a steady heat is kept in the domestic oven.
  • Dress her generously and handle her tenderly, for a woman’s feelings are easily bruised.
  • Butter her freely with compliments and stuff her with flattery, to which add a handful of chestnuts about her being the most wonderful woman in the world and that you never loved before and you could never love again — and so on.
  • Be sure to season with a little time and do not on any account omit a bouquet of sweet herbs.
  • Garnish with theater tickets and an occasional restaurant after the play, and serve with a rich sauce of affection. ~ Source

Here's one that follows along with the theme. It's called, "Get A Husband Brunswick Stew!"

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/55610/...?recipeType=Recipe&servings=16&isMetric=false

As the saying goes, a way to man's heart is through is stomach! Great recipe! :thumbsup:

This is sweet! Thanks for sharing it! :geek:

View attachment 172436

That "recipe" rocks, Anna! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back