How many do we know?

The man behind Meade's left shoulder ( 2nd Row ) I believe is Lt. Charles E. Pease 44th NY Hat off on top picture. I have a few documents signed by him. He also went back and forth across the lines with surrender papers at Appomatox .
These are so interesting. Like small windows in time bringing you closer.

1630256768291.png

Body language observations: In the first picture two seated gents (Patrick and Humphries?) are ostentatiously ignoring the camera. To their (our) right, Meade, ostentatiously ignoring them, seems to be saying "I don't want to be associated with those weirdos!"
[just joshing]
In the second picture, Meade has put on his hat, and one of the "weirdos" has skedaddled (or not yet arrived).

In attempting to put names with faces I was wondering which was Col. Henry Stanton Burton who is listed in GELongstreet’s post. This was the best picture I could find of Colonel Burton.

264F6C44-6A57-47CD-A9EF-2E1A6E26F153.jpeg

Using the rjustice21 guide I believe this is what we have so far!

6. Dr. Johnathan Letterman, 10. Marsena R. Patrick, 13. Maj. Gen. Andrew Humphries, 16. George Gordon Meade,
19. Lt. Charles E. Pease, 20. Rufus Ingalls, 24. Henry Hunt, 30. Lt. John H. Calef

When and where was this taken.
Colonel James N. please advise.
I've read that this was taken at Meade's headquarters (then in the vicinity of Brandy Station) sometime during the Winter encampment of 1863-64 before the beginning of the Overland Campaign, but unfortunately I can't remember the date.

View attachment 412452
Body language observations: In the first picture two seated gents (Patrick and Humphries?) are ostentatiously ignoring the camera. To their (our) right, Meade, ostentatiously ignoring them, seems to be saying "I don't want to be associated with those weirdos!"
[just joshing]
In the second picture, Meade has put on his hat, and one of the "weirdos" has skedaddled (or not yet arrived).
That "weirdo" would be Humphries, who as Chief-of-Staff no doubt had other things on his mind than having his picture taken!

Image.jpg

@Johnny Shafto This was great fun! Thank you. I only recognized Meade, Humphries, and Patrick. Pretty sad for some who special interest has been the AoP for fifty + years.

John
Apparently someone else liked the photos as an illustration too. This was an excellent read for anyone wanting an overview of the AotP - I've meant to review it but for the past year have been too lazy to review anything!

View attachment 412643

Apparently someone else liked the photos as an illustration too. This was an excellent read for anyone wanting an overview of the AotP - I've meant to review it but for the past year have been too lazy to review anything!
Wert should be able to identify everyone on the cover of his book. Somebody give him a call.

Last edited:
Running Total So far (9 out of 34) See previous post by rjustice21 for key.
6. Dr. Johnathan Letterman, 10. Marsena R. Patrick, 13. Maj. Gen. Andrew Humphries, 15. George Meade Jr. 16. George Gordon Meade, 19. Lt. Charles E. Pease, 20. Rufus Ingalls, 24. Henry Hunt, 30. Lt. John H. Calef

Back