Miniatures How Are These Miniatures?

The only pre-painted ones I have are Britains . First Legion are very well done , but they aren't cheap !

Meanwhile in 6mm land...

I agree, they're beautiful, and could be great decoration for an office, but still, the price...

They list them as 60mm. Does that replace the old 54mm?
54MM is about 1/32 scale . Though most pre-painted figures are close to this , some companies make slightly larger scales . King and Country are 1/30 and Collector's Showcase are also 1/30 scale with some even being 1/28.

54MM is about 1/32 scale . Though most pre-painted figures are close to this , some companies make slightly larger scales . King and Country are 1/30 and Collector's Showcase are also 1/30 scale with some even being 1/28.
Yes, that is frustrating to have figures that don't match. I think some of the Britains I bought are smaller or at least appear to be thinner. I don't consider 54mm, etc., as a true scale. That was used to represent the height of the figure from base to his eyes. So if you have a tall or short soldier then it may not be to true scale.

This brings up a topic for another conversation: How do you paint to scale?

Yes, that is frustrating to have figures that don't match. I think some of the Britains I bought are smaller or at least appear to be thinner. I don't consider 54mm, etc., as a true scale. That was used to represent the height of the figure from base to his eyes. So if you have a tall or short soldier then it may not be to true scale.

This brings up a topic for another conversation: How do you paint to scale?
You are absolutely correct . I'm betting not many know that .
I think painting to scale means using lighter colors for smaller scales . I never use pure black because it would look dead and featureless . There are so many colors available from Vallejo that really help with this . If you painted a 1/32 figure with the exact same paint as you did a 1/16 figure , the 1/32 wouldn't be as convincing . It is easy using acrylics to make up blends until you find something that looks right . If you look at uniforms of re-enactors or in museums you will see a variance in the color of the uniform depending on age , weathering , dies used , etc . Union jackets may range from very dark blue to even having a slight purple tint . Confederate uniforms can vary a lot . That's what makes the painting process more creative and enjoyable.

DSC_0110.JPG

No way would I pay that much # for one of those figures. Get the unpainted type that you have to put together, with epoxy and then file/sand and then prime and then paint yourself with acrylics. I always went with the old I/R figures. Those were 54 mm.

No way would I pay that much # for one of those figures. Get the unpainted type that you have to put together, with epoxy and then file/sand and then prime and then paint yourself with acrylics. I always went with the old I/R figures. Those were 54 mm.
I painted a lot of the old I/R figures back in the day and even stopped by their shop once in upstate New York . Sadly out of business now.

I painted a lot of the old I/R figures back in the day and even stopped by their shop once in upstate New York . Sadly out of business now.

I did the same and think I may still have some of the I/R around. I got started with them.
I like the figures from First Legion, but like others, I would rather paint my own than pay for them. Does anyone know if they make their own line of figures or are painting someone else's figures. I guess I'm asking, can you buy their figures unpainted?

And as far as scale. I've often wondered why when someone is producing a line of figures, why they don't make figures of various sizes and shapes, but still in the same scale? Sort of like in real life?

Bases/stands is one of my pet hates, I think that 1:72 is the best scale for large dioramas but I hate the fact that I’ve got to spend time removing the bases from delicate figures. I’ve seen some excellent dioramas but some of them are let down by those unsightly bases. The problem is that the bases are useful for holding the figures during painting but then the paint work can be damaged when using a sharp blade to remove the base, what to do, remove the base first and paint or paint then remove base!

Bases/stands is one of my pet hates, I think that 1:72 is the best scale for large dioramas but I hate the fact that I’ve got to spend time removing the bases from delicate figures. I’ve seen some excellent dioramas but some of them are let down by those unsightly bases. The problem is that the bases are useful for holding the figures during painting but then the paint work can be damaged when using a sharp blade to remove the base, what to do, remove the base first and paint or paint then remove base!
I would remove the base first and use a hand drill to make a small hole in one or both feet . Then glue very fine brass wire into the holes and temporarily mount the figure on a wood block with pre-drilled holes . After painting you can drill holes in your diorama base and push the wire into it . Secure with glue . I use this method on all of my figures and it works well . If you look at the cowboy I worked on ( it is an Andrea figure. I said Vallejo) you can see brass wire drilled into the horses feet on my temporary painting base .

This is what I'm talking about . When I am done painting I remove the figure from the temporary base , trim the wire to about a half inch and mount on the permanent base .

IMG_2614.JPG

I did the same and think I may still have some of the I/R around. I got started with them.
I like the figures from First Legion, but like others, I would rather paint my own than pay for them. Does anyone know if they make their own line of figures or are painting someone else's figures. I guess I'm asking, can you buy their figures unpainted?

And as far as scale. I've often wondered why when someone is producing a line of figures, why they don't make figures of various sizes and shapes, but still in the same scale? Sort of like in real life?
I have some WW2 German prisoners from the company Stalingrad in 1/35 and they are of different heights , but it isn't common . Shenandoah out of Australia makes the best 1/32 Civil War figures , but they are all the same height . I think the reason is they use the same torsos for many different figures . For example they have a basic Union standing torso that is offered as firing or loading or at the ready by using different arms .

I think the problem with various heights of figures is because a lot of European 1:72 scale figures fall into the same as the model rail category of the British 00 gauge, some Italian/German companies use a combination of both, the USA prefers to use H0 gauge, it’s more noticeable in vehicles of that scale.
If you look at the comparison between the American HO and European 00 gauges the difference is in the height, I suspect that these measurements translate the same to model figures.
801A8B9A-ECF9-4CF8-BBFA-ADBC8C809BD4.jpeg

Back