1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Houmas House Plantation

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by mkyzzzrdet, Jan 7, 2017.

1. mkyzzzrdet

mkyzzzrdet Private

DSCN3783.JPG

There was another thread on this house, but there was not a lot there, so I wanted to include some pictures of the place from my visit last November.
    The web site is www.houmashouse.com
    It is a top Louisiana tourist attraction, with an Inn, and a restaurant.

I have included several pics, because it was, well, camera-friendly. The tour here does not go into a lot of detail about slavery, but the guides say that slavery is extensively covered at the Whitney Plantation, where I hope to visit on a future trip

DSCN3787.JPG

The house is a restored Greek revival mansion, and claims to have the most opulent gardens in the south. The house tells of the sugar barons that built the plantation and developed the sugar producing business.

DSCN3790.JPG

It is a 16 room estate and has a vast collection of period antiques, artwork, china and artifacts (some that date to the early home from the early 1800s (according to the brochure) Visiting it, I can certainly believe that is true.
    DSCN3792.JPG

DSCN3793.JPG The grounds has oaks that are centuries old. And huge. Here is a picture of my friend John standing
    in front of one of them. No, John is not a dwarf - he is 5 ft 6 inches tall. You can see how big the tree is!
    (John made a sad effort to be funny and told me the tree was almost as old as I was.)

DSCN3794.JPG
    DSCN3797.JPG
    This is the bachelors quarters when they came to visit. I believe the guide also said that when single young men, who lived there, reached a certain age, they were move out here, also. Its been a while and I don;t recall exactly, Someone else know the full story?

DSCN3798.JPG

DSCN3799.JPG
    One of the owners liked to put some of his artwork on the walls.

DSCN3802.JPG

Dining room. (but not for the restaurant)

DSCN3808.JPG
    Want to relax out on the porch?

That's about it. The history of this plantation can be found at the website, and is too much to go into here.
    Its certainly worth a trip if you get down to southern La. We were not able to eat at the restaurant, but we may try it on out next trip down there.
    Incidentally - if you do go, please feel free to post more pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. bankerpapaw

bankerpapaw 2nd Lieutenant

Beautiful house and beautiful pictures. Thanks!!!

4. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant

Thank you for sharing this post. The pictures are terrific! This is on my list of plantations to visit. You referenced the bachelors quarters. This was shared in our recent visit to Oak Alley. It was an unfamiliar concept to me, but as I recall the tour guide said young men were moved there from the main house when they reached a certain age and were entering "manhood." Perhaps someone else on this site can share more about this practice. It would be interesting to know.

mkyzzzrdet likes this.
  5. Vicksburger

Vicksburger Sergeant

Wow! These pictures are magnificent! They are a good example of how unique we Americans are and why the rest of the world can't compare in terms of culture!

6. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Great question !

This concept was quite common within the Louisiana Creole culture.

The wealthy would construct separate structures for their adolescent males.
    Less prosperous families would designate a separate area of an existing home for the teenaged boys.

A garçonnière is the French term for a bachelor’s apartment. The name originated from the French word for a boy or bachelor – garçon.

Prior to the Civil War, most large antebellum plantations in Louisiana constructed these buildings away from the big house. It was the custom on the larger plantations to have a separate house for boys once they reached their teens, so they could do “manly” things. It also kept them from being tempted by the influences of unmarried women in the extended family, and from any unmarried women staying in the house. The Old South was very particular with its customs, and keeping young, unmarried men and women separated was a key concern for them. In smaller plantation houses the attic was considered the garçonnière.

https://jnewhart.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/garconnieres/

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 10.55.21 PM.jpg
    https://books.google.com/books?id=E...v=onepage&q=creole bachelors quarters&f=false

Eleanor Rose, bdtex and mkyzzzrdet like this.
  7. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

These are wonderful photos. The house is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

8. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant

Fascinating! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)