Golden Thread Hood's Texas Brigade

barker-j-c-jpg.jpg
"Howdy" Martin was a legend in the Fourth Texas. I believe Susannah Ural's upcoming book will feature him extensively.

AUG351, I cannot thank you enough for posting that article. What a fascinating read. I've read it three times now and am blown away each time and I'm learning something new with each read. THANK YOU again my friend.
Glad ya liked it James. Lots of other goodies in the Confederate Veteran as well; I'll post a few more here.
And yes, can't wait for Susannah Ural's book! Sounds like it will be more of a demographic study of the brigade, which should be interesting since no brigade or regimental history to date has really delved into that in any detail.

Here's another article by Capt. J. T. Hunter on the 4th Texas at Chickamauga. He was acting major of the regiment at the time.
The Hard Fighting of Fourth Texas, CV 14, p. 22 1.jpg

The Hard Fighting of Fourth Texas, CV 14, p. 22 2.jpg

- CV, Vol. 14, p. 22

@AUG351 Thank you so much again. This is some fantastic reading and I probably would have never read had you not posted this article and the other.

Susannah Ural's book, while it may be a demographic study of the Brigade and as you said, no brigade or regimental has ever delved in that, this will be amazing I'm sure and probably one I will read over and over again in the years to come.

Another article by Capt. J. T. Hunter, this one on the organization of his company. Also perfect timing since today is the anniversary of Texas's secession.

When Texas Seceded 1.jpg

When Texas Seceded 2.jpg

When Texas Seceded 3.jpg

- CV, Vol. 25, p. 362-63

Gold stars awarded to the Texas Brigade.

In January 1865, a package of nine gold stars were sent to Gen. Lee by an unidentified woman in Texas with the request that they be awarded to the bravest members of the Texas Brigade. In a ceremony on January 21, the stars were awarded to nine soldiers by Col. Frederick Bass.

After a speech by Sen. Wigfall, the following was read by Gen. Lee:
"Headquarters Army Northern Virginia, Jan. 21, 1865.—Commanding Officer of Hood's Texas Brigade: Sir—I have received from 'a young lady of Texas' some golden stars which she desires may be presented to the brave men of your brigade. Where all are so meritorious and have done so much for the honor of their State, I know it will be difficult to select the most worthy, but from your intimate knowledge of their deeds and conduct in action, you can with more certainty than any other bestow them in accordance with the wishes of the donor. I therefore commit them to you. They are nine in number and said to be made of gold too precious for common use.

"As a gift of a lady from their State, who has watched with pride their gallantry on every field and offered daily prayers to the throne of the Almighty for their happiness and safety, I feel assured they will be highly appreciated and long preserved. I have the honor to be your obedient servant,

"R. E. LEE, General."

The stars were presented to:
Pvt.William Durham (Co. D., First Texas)
Pvt. James Polk Knight (Co. H, First Texas) [Possibly his brother, Joseph A. Knight]
Cpl. James Burke (Co. B, Fourth Texas)
Sgt. James Patterson (Co. D, Fourth Texas)
Cpl. W.C. May (Co. H, Fourth Texas)
Sgt. C. Wilborn (Co. F, Fifth Texas)
Sgt. Jacob Hemphill (Co. H, Fifth Texas)
Pvt. John Daniel Staples (Co. E., Third Arkansas)
Pvt. J.W. Cook (Co. H, Third Arkansas)

There was a discussion on James and Joseph Knight here:
http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs62x/txcwmb/webbbs_config.pl?md=read;id=15686
http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs62x/txcwmb/webbbs_config.pl?md=read;id=15691

What is thought to be James' gold star is on display as such at the Texas Heritage Museum in Hillsboro; however, that is questionable, as there is apparently no indication that James ever served in the 1st Texas Infantry. Though five of his brothers - Joseph A., John A., Moses T., Andrew J., and William H. - did serve in the 1st Texas. Out of those five, only two - Joseph and John - were paroled at Appomattox; the others were discharged prior to 1864 due to wounds or disease. According to Harold B. Simpson's Hood's Texas Brigade: A Compendium, it was Joseph A. Knight who was awarded the gold star, having been wounded four times throughout the war.

Here's the link to Joseph A. Knight on Find A Grave.

Also a couple other gold star awardees on Find A Grave, Sgt. Jacob Hemphill and Pvt. John D. Staples.

According to Hemphill, "A young lady from Houston sent five silver stars and four gold ones to be given to the most meritorious soldiers of Hood's Texas Brigade. I received one from the hands of Louis T. Wigfall, then a state senator. From that time on I resolved to be a better citizen, a better soldier and a better Christian."

Last edited:
The following is an excerpt from Robert Campbell's memoirs - a very detailed telling of the Texas Brigade's charge at Gaines' Mill. Campbell served in Company A "Bayou City Guards" of the 5th Texas Infantry; he jotted down his reminiscences just four years after the war, so everything was still rather fresh in his mind. Campbell's memoirs were rediscovered in 1970 and have been edited and published as Lone Star Confederate: A Gallant and Good Soldier of the Fifth Texas Infantry edited by George Skoch and Mark W. Perkins (2003).

“Gaines Mill” 27th June-1862

I will endeavor, in my homely way, to give some idea of the topography of this battlefield, at least of that position where “Whitings Sub Div” engaged in bloody contest the “chosen bands” of Yankee chivalry.

Gaines Mill is situated on a runing branch by which it is propelled. This branch runs some two miles in direction of James river and as you leave the Mill – the banks on either side begin to ascend– and in half mile of the mill they are very steep – and some 50 feet deep – and near this position are large eminences which McLelland had fortified. On the Richmond side of this run, beginning at and runing some 400 yards back – and extending along the bank of the branch – is a woodland. Trees had filled the side of the banks – but had been cut down by the Yanks – and now formed an almost impassable barrier. The enemy had fortified the brow of the hill or banks – on their side of this branch – and in their intrenchments were thick as black birds. So to charge them – we would have to descend our side of the hill – under fire and obstructed by felled trees, would have to wade the branch, and then ascend their side of the hill – and make our way over trees and sharpened stakes – and under a murderous fire. The line defending this Gaines Mill position, was some mile and a half & many a noble soul would have to surrender life before we could drive them from their stronghold. Genl Lee with his devoted soldiers were equal to the task.

Maj Genl Longstreet opened the battle at this line – though a mile to the right of the Mill. Virginians principally engaged the Yanks in their stronghold near the Mill.

Up to this hour (4 P.M.) the battle had been rageing – with an awful sacrifice of life on our side. Our troops had charged and charged again – carried the works at some points, but were on the whole – unsuccessful. At no point did the Yanks seem so defiant and immoveable as at Gaines Mill – no less than 3 fresh lines of battle had charged them and each time were hurled back, bleeding, maimed and thined.

As we (Whitings Sub Div) were marching along, protecting the flank – listening to the roar of bloody battle – and beholding the filled Ambulances as they hurried to the rear – with our maimed and dying boys, a staff officer from Genl. Jackson galloped up, and delivering his orders, we immediately moved by the left flank –towards the heavy firing. Leaving the main road we moved across an open field – and took our position in a lane parallel to the line of battle. Here we found the “Hampton Legion” of South Carolina, who were attached to the Brigade. Immediately – orders were given to load and cap. Line of battle was quickly formed—4th Txs on extreme right – next 18th Ga. 5th Texas in center – then 1st Txs, and the “Hampton Legion” on extreme left. We were now ready for battle. We moved out of the lane in battle array – into a little field – which intervened between us and a body of woods – at a double quick, we crossed this field and entered the woods, we found the woods filled with stragglers – and just ahead a few hundred yards – we could see the smoke of battle, and our boys hard at work – already the Yankee balls began to fly among us. The 4th line of battle had gone in, made a charge and been repulsed. With the gallant Hood at our head – we moved forward, a heavy fire, both from artillery and rifles being poured into us – we moved up to the brow of the hill, (before described) which confronted the Yankee breastworks on the opposite brow – The Virginians fell back. As soon as arriving at this hill, we were ordered to lay down, and commenced a brisk fire upon the enemy. Co. K of the 5th was detached as skirmishers – our brave Lt. Col. J. C. Upton – a Texas stock man, but as noble, brave and generous as ever lived, was walking up and down the regt – calling on us “My brave boys, give it to them” and then he would wave his saber over his head and give a yell. About this time, an officer dashed up and began in the following strain “Don’t run my boys, give it to them – stand my men, for Gods sake stand– or the day is lost.” Balls of all discription were flying like hail and now and then a groan would tell us of some brave comrade who was no more. As soon as this officer invoked us “For Gods sake stand,” Col. Upton ran up to him and in an awful anger, cried out“ Who in the hell and damnation are you?” “I am a staff officer of Genl. Ewells” – replied he. “Leave here, you **** coward, these are my men, these are Texans, and they don’t know how to run – and sir, if you don’t leave here immediately, I will teach you how to run.” The officer hesitated not a moment – for he knew from Col. Upton, that he meant what he said. About this time the clarion voice of Genl. Hood was heard “Attention” and in a second every man was to his feet.

Fix Bayonets” and in a second the bright steel points glistened along our line. The dead and dying lay thick around us. The declivity which we had to descend, was strewn with the bodies of those who had charged before us. “Forward” said old Hood, and with a leap and a yell, heard for miles around, we pitched down the bank, jumping over felled trees. Genl. Hood lead the 4th Texas (his old regt) Genl. Archer (our former Col.) was in reserve with his brigade, as soon as he heard our yell, remarked to his command “There go the Texans and my old regt, and they will sweep everything before them.” Down the hill we went, yelling like mad men, with men falling at every step – we reached the ravine and plunged in, and in drawing my foot from the mud and water, I lost a shoe – but now was no time to tarry. Up the hill we started, climbing over felled trees and sharpened stakes – toiling and tuging away, whooping and yelling, comrades falling on all sides we steadily but rapidly advanced upon our foe – who imagined that we would be driven back like the four preceeding lines of battle. But the Lone Star flag– which had been upon the field of “San Jacinto” cheered us on and we moved into the very mouth of their belching canon. They allowed us to get in ten paces of them, when seeing that we were determined to do or die, they broke like cowardly dogs and left their works to us. With a yell we leaped into them, waved our banner oer their fortifications, and started in pursuit. After leaving their works – we emerged into a field – which extended for miles. In all directions could be seen the fleeing Yanks – and as we started in pursuit – the regimental flags of the whole Brigade were right and left. Now their numerous batteries from the hills began to play upon us and as we were charging on a battery the gallant George Onderdonk – color sergt of my Regt – fell wounded – and as he fell, he raised the flag on high, and Tom Watson of Co. “E” snatching it bore it on. In a few moments it was waving over the Yankee battery. The enemy were fleeing in all directions – and for a few moments we sat down to regain strength. Lieut Clute the only commissioned officer in my Co A present, and who had acted bravely,was seated near me. Turning round he remarked, “Boys they have put a hole through my coat.” Just then “Attention” was called and the word “Forward” given. As Jim Clute rose, he gave a groan –and fell back dead – hit by a piece of shell.

He was noble, brave, generous and beloved by all. He was a young man – a native of NY – and a few years previous to the war– settled in our town (Houston). He left Texas as Orderly Sergt –and was soon elected 2nd Lt. The whole company mourned his loss. The boys took off his watch and valuables, to send them when able to his Mother & Sisters at Buffalo NY. Will McGowan – a native of Texas, good, noble and brave – took command of the company – he being Orderly Sergt. After Jim Clute was killed we advanced but a few paces, when our Col – J B Robertson was wounded – and the gallant Upton took command. When Col R was wounded, the cry arose – “We are attacked in the rear” & behold a Yankee command, came advancing and firing as they advanced, from our rear. The boys gave a whoop, and with fixed bayonets – started at a run for them. When in 30 paces of them, each Yank began to wave something white and bawling out “I surrender, have mercy on me.” The boys went to work taking prisoners and I hauled in a freshly imported Dutchman who seemed inclined to fight – but I convinced him of the impropriety of such a move. The prisoners proved to be the 4th New Jersey – entire – Col., all officers, ten companies – colors and brass band. They surrendered to the “Bloody Fifth.” The Col of the 4th New Jersey upon his sword being demanded by Lt Col Upton – replied “I desire to surrender to a field officer.” Col Upton had on an old pair of pants, a dilapidated pair of cavalry boots, and an old cotton shirt, a slouch black hat – a huge sabre, with a pair of six shooters – looking less like an officer than any of his men. Col Upton in his blunt way, told him that he was a field officer and “to give up in a hurry” and says Upton “If you dam Yanks don’t surrender when my boys call on you, officer or not, you will get shot.”

Col John Marshall of the 4th (Texas) while leading his boys, was shot down. Lt Col Warrick succeeded him, and shared his fate. Capt Keys of Co “A” 4th then took command, and fell badly wounded. Col Raines of 1st fell badly wounded. The 4th Txs. had charged the worst position and suffered the most.

The Yanks were fleeing – and retreating in a hurry – and the battle of “Gaines Mill” was over but now in time of peace – I shudder to think what the victory had cost. I was with some 15 other of the boys – and 25 Georgians – placed over the 4th New Jersey, and as dark closed in, we started for Richmond with our prisoners. Being very young and boyish, an Irishman took great delight in argueing the question with me “My boy” says he – “You are all brave fellows, but you are fighting against the stars and stripes, and my little man, you will all fail.” Not desiring to discuss the question I relieved him of his canteen and shared my last chew of tobacco with one of the prisoners. Now that they were in our power I sympathized for them. One of the Georgians grasping me by the hand, in tears of gladness said “Thank God, Texas, the day is ours.”

As we started off with our prisoners, night closed the bloody drama, and though in going back to the rear we had to travel for a mile and a half of the battlefield – yet we could distinguish nothing, except as now and then we stumbled against a corpse across the path. Yet from every direction – came sorrow and human suffering. Yanks and Confederates, mingling their death groans together,torches could be seen flying about – borne by some afflicted soldier– seeking in the faces of the slain – a dear brother or kindered. Thank God, I felt, I have no one here dearer than a friend – no brother or relative to worry me in the hour of battle.

We carried the prisoners some six miles in the direction of Richmond – when we were relieved by a detachment of Virginians. It being too late to find the Brigade – Will George of my company (A) and myself spread our blankets down, after feasting off of captured provisions – and wearied with the work of the day – we soon sank into a refreshing slumber – not however before I had thanked my God for His protection, which had been given me in dangers of the battle field.

By 7 A.M. we were up and on our return for the Brigade. After proceeding a couple of miles, what a sight greeted our eyes. We came upon the fields – where the bloody work of the previous day had been carried on. On every side lay the victims of Death – three Confederates to one Yank – which attests the power of their position and the desperation with which we fought. Caisons, rifles of every patent – muskets – belts – knapsacks – cartridge boxes – ammunition – haversacks – and all the necessaries of war, lay scattered about as the Yanks had thrown them when we drove them from their works and chased them. The Southern dead were many!! Some were in the act of aiming – some about to ram the cartridges home– some were biting the cartridges – and in all positions could they be seen in cold embrace of death. George and myself moving on a mile farther, came into an oak grove and there beheld our fellow Texans – some dead – some dying – and others in awful agony. It was our in infirmary. Leaving this sad scene we moved on, and soon came across the “old Brigade” – Cheerful, defiant and yet much reduced. As an incident of this battle, I noticed one of the company – Jim Riley – as we were pursueing the Yanks, take deliberate aim at a “Blue Belly” and fire – and hitting the cartridge box of the Yank, he blew him up. The loss of the “Texas Brigade” was very heavy – though I do not know the number. The Brigade carried into the battle at least 4,000 men, and lost at least one fourth –killed and wounded.

- Robert Campbell, Lone Star Confederate: A Gallant and Good Soldier of the Fifth Texas Infantry, ed. George Skoch, Mark W. Perkins (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2003), pp. 37-43.

Last edited:
4th Texas Infantry.jpg

Battle flag of the 4th Texas Infantry.

Presented to the regiment by Texas senator Louis T. Wigfall's family while the Texas Brigade was encamped at Dumfries, Va., in winter of 1861-62. It was carried throughout the Peninsula Campaign, the Seven Days battles, Second Manassas, South Mountain, and Sharpsburg. The 4th and 5th Texas' colors were then sent home to be deposited in the state archives in Austin.

Buried at war's end by two Co. B veterans to prevent its capture by occupying Federal troops, the Fourth's flag was later reclaimed by veterans of Co. B (the company having been recruited in Austin and Travis County) on the ninth anniversary of Gaines' Mill, June 27, 1871. It passed into the possession of Val C. Giles, veteran of Co. B and author of the memoir Rags and Hope, until he later donated it to the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1905. Today it is in the collection of the Texas Civil War Museum in Fort Worth.

The Fourth's flag measures 4 x 4 feet. Two streamers with battle honors were later added, and a spearhead flag staff finial was also fitted to the top of the staff, engraved with the motto: "Fear not, for I am with thee. Say to the North, give up, and to the South, keep not back."

texascivilwaregimentbattlerflag.jpg

The finial was later hit by a bullet at Second Manassas.

4th-texas-flag-reunion-jpg.jpg

Texas Brigade reunion at Floresville, Texas, October 13, 1915. Capt. Frank B. Chilton (left) and Capt. James T. Hunter hold the battle flag of the 4th Texas.

The following is from Chaplain Davis and Hood's Texas Brigade, ed. Donald E. Everett, pp. 135-38.

Chaplain Nicholas A. Davis:
4th Texas Flag 1.jpg

4th Texas Flag 2.jpg

4th Texas Flag 3.jpg

4th Texas Flag 4.jpg

4th Texas Flag 5.jpg

4th Texas Flag 6.jpg

This is from Unveiling and Dedication of Monument to Hood's Texas Brigade, p. 303:
Flag of the Fourth Texas.jpg

For photos and info on the 5th Texas Infantry's flags see this thread:
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/battle-flags-of-the-5th-texas-infantry.89541/

Edit: I've also since posted a thread on the 4th Texas' flag, which includes a few other details:
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-battle-flag-of-the-4th-texas-infantry.148770/

A history of the 4th Texas Infantry can be read online here: http://4thtexascob.com/History.html

At the bottom the total losses suffered by the brigade's three Texas regiments throughout the war are given:

It is estimated that about 5,300 men had enlisted during the war in the three Texas regiments and the one Arkansas regiment that comprised Hood’s Texas Brigade at Appomattox. Of this number only 617 were left to be paroled on April 12, 1863. Thus, some 4,700 members of the Brigade had been killed in battle, had died of disease, had been invalided home due to sickness and crippling wounds, or had been discharged for being either over or under age — only a few had deserted.

W. H. Hamby, a member of Company B of the Fourth Texas, and after the war a prominent banker at Austin, in the early 1900’s made a detailed study of the strength and the casualties of the three Texas Regiments of Hood’s Brigade. According to Hamby’s findings the First Fourth, and Fifth Texas Infantry regiments enlisted a total of 3.884 men (First Texas, 1,302; Fourth Texas, 1,251; and the Fifth Texas, 1,311). The First Texas lost 332 killed in battle, 476 wounded once, 119 wounded twice, 25 wounded three or more times, and 159 died of disease giving a total of 1,111 casualties and a rate of 85.3 percent. The Fourth Texas lost 316 killed in battle, 431 wounded once, 98 wounded twice, 19 wounded three or more times, and 143 died of disease giving a total of 1,007 casualties and a rate of 80.4 percent. The Fifth Texas lost 303 killed in battle, 506 wounded once, 138 wounded twice, 19 wounded three or more times, and 140 died of disease giving a total of 1,106 casualties and a rate of 83.1 percent.​

5th Texas Infantry, Little Round Top.jpg

"Little Round Top" by Don Troiani. The 5th Texas Infantry work their way up the slope of the hill. What is known as the Mrs. Maude Young flag of the 5th Texas is held up by the color bearer.

John W. Stevens, Co. H, 5th Texas:

As we start up the mountain we got a plunging volley from the enemy, who are posted behind the rocks on the crest. They are not more than 25 or 30 steps away and well protected behind the rocks, while we are exposed to their fire. Their first volley was most destructive to our line. Every line officer of my regiment is shot down except one man—the major. Now, for the first time in the history of the war, our men begin to waver. We are suffering terribly. Finally they begin to go back. Their idea is to fall back, reform and come back again. Just at this juncture Capt. Hubert calls out for Co. K. to stand fast. Only eleven men stand their ground3 officers and 8 men—but there we stand and fight for life. The balls are whizzing so thick around us that it looks like a man could hold out a hat and catch it full. There were two twin brothers belonging to Co. C, of my regiment, that got separated from their own company. They came up to where I was standing and commenced firing. In a moment one of them is shot down by my side. The other brother caught hold of him as he fell and gently laid him down on the ground, and as he did so he also received a death shot. This was a very affecting scene—those two boys were twin brothers, so much alike that you could hardly tell them apart. They were always together—where you saw one you saw the other. They had passed safely through all the previous battles unhurt—now they die together.
Another young man by the name of Fitzgerald (I had known him from his cradle) walked up to where I was standing. He also was shot dead, and, as I now remember, about six men who had become separated from their own commands walked up to where I was standing and began firing, and the entire six were left dead at my feet. As I now remember the only fear I felt was that our other men whom we expected to reform, and come again, might begin firing too soon and shoot us in the back. Somehow I never though of being hit by the enemy in front, yet they were not over 25 or 30 paces from us and the balls were flying as thick as hail (apparently.) This thing continued until we had fired some 10 or 12 rounds—the roar of artillery and the din of small arms was so deafening that we could not hear each other in an ordinary tone of command. It never occurred to me that there was any danger of being captured, or that we would not whip the fight, as soon as the retreating line reformed, and come again, just then a slap on my back with a sword and an order to throw down my gun and behave myself came like a sudden clap of thunder. As I looked around the woods around me were full of Yankees. My own fragment of our company were already disarmed and a guard around them. Realizing the fact that I was a prisoner, I took out an old knife and cut my cartridge box off.

- John W. Stevens, Reminiscences of the Civil War

William A. Fletcher, Co. F, 5th Texas:

In the course of time we were thrown into line of battle near Gettysburg, and as our brigade ranks were well depleted, we did not make a very long battle line. We were said to be near our right; and in front, less than a mile off, the country looked well elevated and from barren spots I took it to be rocky. While laying in position one of Company A privates, and I think of Galveston, stepped to the front and started to offer prayer, something that I had never heard of in our part of the line under like conditions. He was ordered back into line and just then a bursting shell wounded three of his company this happened only a few feet to my right, before going into battle.
In times of battle there are generally what are called color companies. I suppose they are called so by their position in regimental line with colors and special color guard also. I was, on this occasion, color guard with a small detail with A. and F. color companies. The sergeant ordered me to colors. I protested, saying I was not the man and he had often heard me express myself. He said: "Go ahead." We were soon forward and near on the opposite side of the valley. We routed pickets and scaled rock fences, and worked our way to the front rapidly, with pickets giving away before us, firing but little. We soon struck the foot of the hill, and found it rough and rocky, with large boulders now and then, so our lines were not at all times well closed. We soon were near enough the enemy's line for them to open fire. We had but poor chance to retaliate with much effect. Our men near me commenced falling rapidly and especially color bearers—if I remember correctly, I saw the colors fall five times, the last time in the hands of the sergeant who had ordered me to act as color guard. In falling, the flag staff struck my head in front of my face. As it went down my forward motion caused my feet to become somewhat tangled. I gave a kick and said a curse word, and passed on. This happened near the end of our journey, and know not who picked up the colors, but I have often thought, "Did the the sergeant see all the color guards cut down; and thinking I was going to carry out my oft repeated declaration, pick it up in my stead?"
We stopped advancing, without orders as far as I was concerned, as I had heard none. Another man and I were well to the front, behind rocks; the enemy was only a short distance up and so near over us that with good aim we could have near been shot in the top of the head, either standing or kneeling. . . . We did not hold this position long before the order was passed along the line to "Fall back." I had no fear of the enemy charging and capturing the retreating force, for they had ample dead and wounded to satisfy them, if all parts of our line were as badly butchered as at the point I went in and out. I learned some time afterward that the peak was called "Round top" or "Heights."
- William A. Fletcher, Rebel Private: Front and Rear.

William Henry Mathews, Co. K, 5th Texas:

At the battle of Gettysburg on July 3, 1863, our Texas Brigade charged the heights of little Round Top and as we were advancing up the side of the mountain, it was very steep and rocky from our starting point, and the distance so great and the heat so excessive, that when we reached the enemy's line we were all exhaustd, and could go no further.
We advanced to within fifty yards of their line and fell behind large rocks. I fell behind a rock about eighteen inches high and fired one shot and began to reload lying down, and while holding up my gun for the powder to fall to the bottom was shot in the arm, but I am thankful to say, that it was not broken. Our Captain, R. W. Hubert, with seventeen others, was made prisoners at this place. Small things will decide the result of a battle. Private as I was, I could see it in this one. Our brigade as I have been told, was ordered to fall back, but had we been supported at the right time we would have captured or disposed of their line of battle, and would have gained the day at Gettysburg.
- Wm. Henry Mathews in Reminiscences of the boys in gray, 1861-1865, Vol. 2, comp. by Mamie Yeary.

Last edited:
The stars were presented to:
Pvt.William Durham (Co. D., First Texas)
Pvt. James Polk Knight (Co. H, First Texas) [Possibly his brother, Joseph A. Knight]
Cpl. James Burke (Co. B, Fourth Texas)
Sgt. James Patterson (Co. D, Fourth Texas)
Cpl. W.C. May (Co. H, Fourth Texas)
Sgt. C. Wilborn (Co. F, Fifth Texas)
Sgt. Jacob Hemphill (Co. H, Fifth Texas)
Pvt. John Daniel Staples (Co. E., Third Arkansas)
Pvt. J.W. Cook (Co. H, Third Arkansas)

There was a discussion on James and Joseph Knight here:
http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs62x/txcwmb/webbbs_config.pl?md=read;id=15686
http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs62x/txcwmb/webbbs_config.pl?md=read;id=15691

What is thought to be James' gold star is on display as such at the Texas Heritage Museum in Hillsboro; however, that is questionable, as there is apparently no indication that James ever served in the 1st Texas Infantry. Though five of his brothers - Joseph A., John A., Moses T., Andrew J., and William H. - did serve in the 1st Texas. Out of those five, only two - Joseph and John - were paroled at Appomattox; the others were discharged prior to 1864 due to wounds or disease. According to Harold B. Simpson's Hood's Texas Brigade: A Compendium, it was Joseph A. Knight who was awarded the gold star, having been wounded four times throughout the war.
That would be this Gold Star:

IMG_20151120_104643160_HDR.jpg

View attachment 126704
"Little Round Top" by Don Troiani. The 5th Texas Infantry work their way up the slope of the hill. What is known as the Mrs. Maude Young flag of the 5th Texas is held up by the color bearer.

John W. Stevens, Co. H, 5th Texas:
As we start up the mountain we got a plunging volley from the enemy, who are posted behind the rocks on the crest. They are not more than 25 or 30 steps away and well protected behind the rocks, while we are exposed to their fire. Their first volley was most destructive to our line. Every line officer of my regiment is shot down except one man—the major. Now, for the first time in the history of the war, our men begin to waver. We are suffering terribly. Finally they begin to go back. Their idea is to fall back, reform and come back again. Just at this juncture Capt. Hubert calls out for Co. K. to stand fast. Only eleven men stand their ground3 officers and 8 men—but there we stand and fight for life. The balls are whizzing so thick around us that it looks like a man could hold out a hat and catch it full. There were two twin brothers belonging to Co. C, of my regiment, that got separated from their own company. They came up to where I was standing and commenced firing. In a moment one of them is shot down by my side. The other brother caught hold of him as he fell and gently laid him down on the ground, and as he did so he also received a death shot. This was a very affecting scene—those two boys were twin brothers, so much alike that you could hardly tell them apart. They were always together—where you saw one you saw the other. They had passed safely through all the previous battles unhurt—now they die together.

Another young man by the name of Fitzgerald (I had known him from his cradle) walked up to where I was standing. He also was shot dead, and, as I now remember, about six men who had become separated from their own commands walked up to where I was standing and began firing, and the entire six were left dead at my feet. As I now remember the only fear I felt was that our other men whom we expected to reform, and come again, might begin firing too soon and shoot us in the back. Somehow I never though of being hit by the enemy in front, yet they were not over 25 or 30 paces from us and the balls were flying as thick as hail (apparently.) This thing continued until we had fired some 10 or 12 rounds—the roar of artillery and the din of small arms was so deafening that we could not hear each other in an ordinary tone of command. It never occurred to me that there was any danger of being captured, or that we would not whip the fight, as soon as the retreating line reformed, and come again, just then a slap on my back with a sword and an order to throw down my gun and behave myself came like a sudden clap of thunder. As I looked around the woods around me were full of Yankees. My own fragment of our company were already disarmed and a guard around them. Realizing the fact that I was a prisoner, I took out an old knife and cut my cartridge box off.

- John W. Stevens, Reminiscences of the Civil War

William A. Fletcher, Co. F, 5th Texas:
In the course of time we were thrown into line of battle near Gettysburg, and as our brigade ranks were well depleted, we did not make a very long battle line. We were said to be near our right; and in front, less than a mile off, the country looked well elevated and from barren spots I took it to be rocky. While laying in position one of Company A privates, and I think of Galveston, stepped to the front and started to offer prayer, something that I had never heard of in our part of the line under like conditions. He was ordered back into line and just then a bursting shell wounded three of his company this happened only a few feet to my right, before going into battle.

In times of battle there are generally what are called color companies. I suppose they are called so by their position in regimental line with colors and special color guard also. I was, on this occasion, color guard with a small detail with A. and F. color companies. The sergeant ordered me to colors. I protested, saying I was not the man and he had often heard me express myself. He said: "Go ahead." We were soon forward and near on the opposite side of the valley. We routed pickets and scaled rock fences, and worked our way to the front rapidly, with pickets giving away before us, firing but little. We soon struck the foot of the hill, and found it rough and rocky, with large boulders now and then, so our lines were not at all times well closed. We soon were near enough the enemy's line for them to open fire. We had but poor chance to retaliate with much effect. Our men near me commenced falling rapidly and especially color bearers—if I remember correctly, I saw the colors fall five times, the last time in the hands of the sergeant who had ordered me to act as color guard. In falling, the flag staff struck my head in front of my face. As it went down my forward motion caused my feet to become somewhat tangled. I gave a kick and said a curse word, and passed on. This happened near the end of our journey, and know not who picked up the colors, but I have often thought, "Did the the sergeant see all the color guards cut down; and thinking I was going to carry out my oft repeated declaration, pick it up in my stead?"

We stopped advancing, without orders as far as I was concerned, as I had heard none. Another man and I were well to the front, behind rocks; the enemy was only a short distance up and so near over us that with good aim we could have near been shot in the top of the head, either standing or kneeling. . . . We did not hold this position long before the order was passed along the line to "Fall back." I had no fear of the enemy charging and capturing the retreating force, for they had ample dead and wounded to satisfy them, if all parts of our line were as badly butchered as at the point I went in and out. I learned some time afterward that the peak was called "Round top" or "Heights."

- William A. Fletcher, Rebel Private: Front and Rear.

William Henry Mathews, Co. K, 5th Texas:
At the battle of Gettysburg on July 3, 1863, our Texas Brigade charged the heights of little Round Top and as we were advancing up the side of the mountain, it was very steep and rocky from our starting point, and the distance so great and the heat so excessive, that when we reached the enemy's line we were all exhaustd, and could go no further.

We advanced to within fifty yards of their line and fell behind large rocks. I fell behind a rock about eighteen inches high and fired one shot and began to reload lying down, and while holding up my gun for the powder to fall to the bottom was shot in the arm, but I am thankful to say, that it was not broken. Our Captain, R. W. Hubert, with seventeen others, was made prisoners at this place. Small things will decide the result of a battle. Private as I was, I could see it in this one. Our brigade as I have been told, was ordered to fall back, but had we been supported at the right time we would have captured or disposed of their line of battle, and would have gained the day at Gettysburg.

- Wm. Henry Mathews in Reminiscences of the boys in gray, 1861-1865, Vol. 2, comp. by Mamie Yeary.

My husband's relative, William Henry Harrison Fields, was a member of Company K, 5th TX and received what would prove to be a fatal wound according to his service record sometime on this day. I read this post and wonder about him and whether or not he would have been a part of any of these experiences or was he already wounded and out of action. Thank you for posting.

Back