hoe cakes

March 31, 1863:
Our bread is usually corn meal, and we mix it up with water and bake it on clap-boards set up before a fire, johny-cake fashion. Then we have flour we mix up a stiff dough and wrap it round the ramrods of our guns, and bake it also before the fire, turning the ramrod continually until the bread is a beautiful brown. We cook our meat in the same manner, or on the coals, or on a stick drove in the ground before the fire. The clap-board is our most important utensil when we have corn-meal and we usually find them where people live. There is no better corn bread to be made than johnny-cake.

William E. Sloan, Co.D 5th Tennessee Cav. CSA

Kevin Dally

March 31, 1863:
Our bread is usually corn meal, and we mix it up with water and bake it on clap-boards set up before a fire, johny-cake fashion. Then we have flour we mix up a stiff dough and wrap it round the ramrods of our guns, and bake it also before the fire, turning the ramrod continually until the bread is a beautiful brown. We cook our meat in the same manner, or on the coals, or on a stick drove in the ground before the fire. The clap-board is our most important utensil when we have corn-meal and we usually find them where people live. There is no better corn bread to be made than johnny-cake.

William E. Sloan, Co.D 5th Tennessee Cav. CSA

Kevin Dally
That will inspire me to make my own johnny-cake, but with modern ways.

Now I am getting more hungry.

Where did Hoe or Johnny cakes originate from? We did not eat them growing up and I only heard my Nanny make reference to them.

Back