Hickory Nuts

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Hickory Nuts were named by the Algonquin Indians. They called them "powcohicora". But white settlers shortened the name to 'hickory". The nut is part of the walnut family and related to the pecan.

The settlers would grind the nuts, add water and make a milky liquid which was used in soups, cornmeal cakes and hominy. They also made a beverage called "pohickory". The nuts were useful as a food as they would store for up to a year.

Hickory Nuts are used in pies, cakes and nut breads. They aren't often used as they have a very hard shell to crack.

There are three varieties of hickory trees with edible nuts. These are the shagbark hickory C.ovata, the shellbark hickory.C.laciniosa, and the mockernut C. tomentosa which is also referred to as the white hickory or bullnut.

Note: Hickory nuts should be thoroughly dried before they can be cracked.

Information from: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/ingredients/detail/hickory-nuts

A recipe for Hickory Nut Cake from "Old Timey Recipes" collected by Phyllis Connor.

Hickory Nut Cake

1/2 cup butter and shortening, about half and half
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups cake flour
1 cup chopped hickory nuts
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups milk
4 egg whites beaten stiff

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternately with the milk to creamed mixture. Beat until smooth. Fold in nuts and egg whites. Pour into 2 greased 8 x 8 x 2 inch pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool. Before serving put layers together and frost with sweetened whipped cream. Sprinkle with chopped hickory nuts.

Can you substitute pecans? We have butternuts here, but not hickories. Same family, same REALLY hard shell.

One of our family's favorite fall activities is 'nutting'- picking Hickory Nuts and Black Walnuts. A fun outdoor activity, delicious nuts (though preparation is a lot of work).

Or as my grandparents referred to them - "hicker" nuts. Taking old blankets and !ong wooden poles to the back of the farm to harvest hicker nuts 😉 and walnuts each fall is a warm family memory. Mom and grandmother would save some to add to the fudge and divinity or sea foam candy they made at Christmas time. Hmmmm 💟

One of our family's favorite fall activities is 'nutting'- picking Hickory Nuts and Black Walnuts. A fun outdoor activity, delicious nuts (though preparation is a lot of work).
I was interested to see this, @WJC, because I've wondered about harvesting hickory nuts. We have several trees that I think are shagbark hickories. What is involved in preparing the nuts, besides drying them?

I was interested to see this, @WJC, because I've wondered about harvesting hickory nuts. We have several trees that I think are shagbark hickories. What is involved in preparing the nuts, besides drying them?
Just a two-step process: Once the shells are broken by hammering, the 'meat' has to be picked from the shells, a rather tedious job. But they are delicious!

Thanks. How long should the nuts be left to dry before cracking them open?
That I don't recall exactly. They ought to dry out to the point that when they can be opened and the meat is tasty, but I can't say how long that is. Bring them out of the weather then crack open one a day until you are satisfied they are ready. Then 'get cracking'.

Back