What is this? Help needed!!

jhobbs2020

Cadet
I have found 11 guns in a creek in Oklahoma. Can anyone help me identify this gun??

1EEFE87E-5073-452B-A7E2-5D6F0165759A.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm assuming you found them all in basically the same place. Could you expound on that?
As a retired law enforcement officer, my mind immediately goes to the question: Why were eleven pistols dumped in a river in the 1800's?
What else is down there?
Criminal gang? KKK? (What's the difference, right?) Seized by the sheriff and disposed of? (not likely)
There is obviously a very interesting story behind them.

Yes, I found them all in close proximity in a creek bed with my kids. Gun #1 and #11 are the only ones that don’t share characteristics with the other guns.
My best guess is that they were stolen and later disposed of to get rid of the evidence, probably stolen in the burglary of a hardware store or something like that. Just a guess though. But I can almost assure you that they had some involvement in a crime or crimes.
You might want to check with your local county historian or historical society to see if anyone knows of any crimes from long ago that might fit with what you found.
Your local sheriff's office might have records of something that far back but not likely. The other option is to go through old newspapers from that period, but, speaking from experience, that could take years. Putting approximate dates on the pistols would definitely help.

Personally, I find all this fascinating. Where do you live, if I may ask?

My best guess is that they were stolen and later disposed of to get rid of the evidence, probably stolen in the burglary of a hardware store or something like that. Just a guess though. But I can almost assure you that they had some involvement in a crime or crimes.
You might want to check with your local county historian or historical society to see if anyone knows of any crimes from long ago that might fit with what you found.
Your local sheriff's office might have records of something that far back but not likely. The other option is to go through old newspapers from that period, but, speaking from experience, that could take years. Putting approximate dates on the pistols would definitely help.

Personally, I find all this fascinating. Where do you live, if I may ask?
I live in Dallas, but found these guns in Oklahoma.

Pretty interesting find. The first thing that strikes my eye is the similar shape of the trigger guard on so many of the revolvers. The one trigger that we can see is also an interesting design. I would love to know the story behind this. I'll keep my eye on this thread.

Interesting. Oklahoma was the Indian Territory in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Rife with crime. The Daltons and Doolins operated there, for instance. I still don't think your pistols were involved in major crime, though.
It sounds like a teenager stole them in a burglary from a store, didn't know what to do with them and stashed them along the river bank so he could retrieve them later but never did.

IF you ever decide to check with the law enforcement in that area, I would suggest that you find out what the finder/keeper laws are in that jurisdiction first. While it is unlikely, it is possible that they may want to hold the pistols for a period of time.

Back