What is this? Help me identify this artifact?

Nasadave

Cadet
Hello, newbie here... these artifacts were found about 6” down in the soil in Stafford, VA. They were right next to each other at the same depth. The one is obviously a minie ball, but the other... no idea. Are they related?

83F43845-E60E-4F4D-890A-DF6C64EDA103.jpeg

3729212D-2EDF-4F0E-888A-D542507E2E80.jpeg

And the other two were found nearby. Probably unrelated. One looks like a blacksmith nail, but the other unknown.

E4ED3BFF-6255-4C06-A5FF-15F0A1C850EF.jpeg

6DFAF3A5-24FD-408C-9592-4FCB02581E1A.jpeg

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Interest scrolling piece what are the measurements on it?

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Congratulations on your discoveries. Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Now that I see it in scale with the 3 ringer,I believe it is the lock plate of a fancy box with the key going into the center hole.
fancy lock plate.jpeg

I think the metal items other than the Minié ball might be coffin or casket fittings? You might see if there was a burial ground near the site you digging? Perhaps a Deed search or old maps might help. Some rural households had a family burial plot.

Now that I see it in scale with the 3 ringer,I believe it is the lock plate of a fancy box with the key going into the center hole.
View attachment 352203
I thought so at first, but using the minie ball for scale, the key head would have to be smaller than a 1/4", which doesn't seem to work. I agree that it is a fancy escutcheon for a wooden box of some sort.

Back