Help Identifying this Musket

johnwr1

Private
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
Location
Fallston, MD
Hi,
This is not a strong point for me. Just trying to get a clue on who makes this musket and what year? The markings are supposedly worn off except for the eagle, US and Mfg Co.

Thanks
54047727_4_x.jpg
54047727_5_x.jpg
54047727_1_x.jpg
 
a Colt special model 1861, 75,000 produced. Or a Amoskeag Mfg.Co. special 1861 with 27,000 produced. From what is visible I would lean toward it being a Amoskeag.
 
My own view is to regard "cleaning" a capital offense when applied to an old gun . . .
nevertheless, some bronze wool (not grocery story chinese junk, get it on web) or a piece of copper, and your favorite Magic Oil can remove much of the rust without scratching or wearing the iron beneath.
Automatic transmission fluid - just don't be in a hurry - is a good cleaner with no harm to the old iron.
 
Thanks. In your opinion what should this sell for in this condition? I don't want to overpay.
It hasn't been cut down but it has quite a bit of rust. I'd offer $500 and depending on bore condition might go to $750. Personally I'd not pay more as I know where a pristine one with a $1250 tag is.
 
Nice musket. I haven't handled a Colt in awhile. A good college friend had one that had been cut down a little. No reason why it had been cut down. I know there is a reason, I just don't know the answer.
 
Yes it was. I was researching this before bidding. I did not win it. It went too high for me after hearing the estimate from the forum folks.
I was hoping it would stay in the $500-700 range.
 
Yes it was. I was researching this before bidding. I did not win it. It went too high for me after hearing the estimate from the forum folks.
I was hoping it would stay in the $500-700 range.

Does the fact that it's an original appeal to you most?

I'm asking as shootable reproductions can be had for about the same money.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top