Uniforms Help Identifying Military Shako

bobinwmass

Sergeant
I rather impulsively bought this on Ebay last night so I don't even have it yet, but am hoping I did not screw up. The seller had it listed as a US M1864 Light Artillery Shako (which means could have been used after the Civil War), but after some quick research in my scant reference library, to me it looks exactly like the pre-Civil War shako used by the 7th New York State Militia and depicted in the Echoes of Glory Arms and Equipment of The Union on page 95, except someone has put the wrong plume on it. In addition, this shako has a maker label of John A Baker inside, and my book on American Military Dealers indicates that he was at the address indicated only to 1858. So because this was a relatively recent "Buy it Now" listing, because the shako is in nice condition, and because I thought it was a really good price if actually a pre-War shako, I decided to jump on it before someone else did. Can someone confirm if my identification is correct? The label also has the owner's name written inside, J. A. Falconer. The seller's listing said he was a Lieutenant and then Captain in the 79th New York Infantry in 1861. I have yet to research him or the Regiment, but if any of you know anything, I would love to learn. Thanks.

NYshako1.jpg

NYshako2.jpg

NYshako3.jpg

NYshako4.jpg

NYshako5.jpg

NYshako6.jpg

I can't tell you anything on the date of the shako and @Package4 is the go to guy. Below is his Fold3 index card and the only one listed is for a J A Falconer. Is that an H or an A as its hard to tell with that old writing.
JHF.jpg

because the shako is in nice condition, and because I thought it was a really good price if actually a pre-War shako, I decided to jump on it before someone else did.
I don't care what your research determines, that is a pretty cool skako.
I noticed some metal loops on each side of the top. I wonder if it had a chord that hung from these loops.
I suspect it would look more like this.
Shako.JPG

The last time I impulsed bought a Civil War hat, I was looking for a Hardee because perhaps my favorite Civil War unit is "Those D--ned Black Hats" Iron Brigade. The seller was selling it for only $20 which I thought was a steal.

Only thing was.....when it arrives it was tiny, barely even fit on my thumb. Confused, I went onto the ad, only to realize that it specifically stated that the hat was for Ken dolls who people who dress up as Civil War soldiers.

So.....besides being embarrassed at spending that money on something that I didn't need, I learned a valuable lesson: always read the items description.

I was able to do some research on the internet tonight and came up with several pictures showing the pre-Civil War uniform and shako of the 7th Regiment New York State Militia, which now has me pretty confidant that this shako is a pre-War 7th Regiment one. I will post them below. The first photo is the one from the Echoes of Glory book, from which first gave me the idea the seller had identified it incorrectly. The 2nd is a circa 1860 photo of 2 unidentified members of the NY 7th Regiment. The third is an 1861 CDV of Private Joseph D. Taylor, Jr Company D, 7th Regiment NYSM, and the final shows the 7th Regiment uniform, shako, and knapsack of Lewis C. Parmalee, member of the 7th Regiment NYSM from 1859-1861. Gotta love the things you can find when doing research on the internet.

EchoesofGlory.JPG

NY7th.jpg

7thInfNYSMPersonTaylorJ2.jpg

CWu170d- Uniform of Lewis C  Parmalee - 7th New York State Militia 1859-1861.jpg

This type of shako was popular with militia companies before the start of the Civil War. The red plume may well indicate artillery. Also does the "D?.A.B" on the Fod3 Index Card, before the 79th N. Y Infantry possible be D---- Artillery Battalion?
The card is for the 79th Inf and with the periods after each letter, he was a member of all 3 companies in this infantry unit. IMHO it may be a period shako but they were used well after the CW. I think the label is JH and not JA and was a member of the post war 7th NY NG arty.

I was also able to do a little research on the 79th NY Infantry, which was also apparently known as the Cameron Highlanders. They did participate in the Battle of First Bull Run with heavy loss. I also found the following newspaper clipping about Captain Falconer on the New York State Civil War website in reference to the 79th Regiment.
"OUR HILTON HEAD CORRESPONDENCE.
HILTON HEAD, PORT ROYAL, S. C. NOV. 18, 1861.
Expedition of the Highlanders to St. Helena Island—Flight of All the White Residents Except Thieves and Negro Stealers—Capture of One of the Bandits and Delight of the Negroes—The Advance Upon Charleston—Capture of a British Schooner—The Naval Expedition to the Southward, &c., &c.
…The following morning Colonel Nobles arrived. After breakfast he took Captain John A. Falconer's company and advanced them some five miles to act as pickets. The same night the negroes came in with the news that a party had landed to carry on their old game of stealing and shooting negroes. Captain Falconer in the morning took nine of his company, with a negro as a guide, to try and capture them. He went about six miles further on, and after procuring a couple of horses, he mounted two of his men to go around by the beach to destroy the boat and prevent the enemy's retreat, while he advanced through the woods. The party arrived on the beach at the point designated by the negro, where they espied a robber about three hundred yards off, in a boat, trying to make his escape. They immediately levelled their muskets and ordered him to land, which he did. He proved to be Benjamin Chaplain, a resident of St. Helena Island. He is a captain of a mounted rifle company, and a terror to all the negroes on the island.
When Captain Falconer brought him in the negroes laughed and danced, and flocked around Captain Falconer, embracing his legs, kissing his hands, and seemed to be perfectly wild with joy at the capture of their dreaded enemy. Chaplain said that, according to Lincoln's proclamation, any person living quietly at home and pursuing their regular business would not be molested, and that he was then looking after his property. He also attempted to bribe Captain Falconer by telling him if he would let him go any sum he would demand he could have. As soon as he was taken before General Stevens a polite note was despatched to the United States steamer Vixen for the captain to come on shore, as he was well acquainted with the prisoner and all of his antecedents.
This is the first capture that has been made by any of Gen. Stevens' brigade. Captain Falconer stated that he could have captured the whole of them, but a peremptory order came for him to return at once..."

The elephant in the room is the shako is for the NY NG 7th Artillery and the records are 79th Inf.

The card is for the 79th Inf and with the periods after each letter, he was a member of all 3 companies in this infantry unit. IMHO it may be a period shako but they were used well after the CW. I think the label is JH and not JA and was a member of the post war 7th NY NG arty.
I do agree the second letter is confusing and looks like both an A and H. I do think it is actually an A, as there is the diagonal 2nd leg of the A. I think that as he looped his pen up and over the top to come around and put the cross on the A, he created that vertical line that could be interpreted as the second leg of an H. I also read that many members of the pre-war 7th NYSM went on to become officers of many other Regiments during the War. Apparently Falconer was a member of the 7th Regiment NYSM at some point in the years just prior to the start of the Civil War. When the war broke out, he an many others enlisted as officers in other Regiments going off to war. He was in both units, but only in the 79th during the Civil War.

The elephant in the room is the shako is for the NY NG 7th Artillery and the records are 79th Inf.
The crossed cannons on the side buttons are also evidence of this being an artillery shako, else one that has been made up of various un-matching parts.

The crossed cannons on the side buttons are also evidence of this being an artillery shako, else one that has been made up of various un-matching parts.
I won't say that a couple hours of research on the internet makes me an expert on the 7th New York, but their history is interesting and easily leads to confusion. They were formed as an artillery unit during the War of 1812 to protect New York harbor from the British. Years later when reorganized as infantry, to respect their heritage they kept the artillery emblems on uniforms. Even into the 20th century their uniform buttons have NYSA for New York State Artillery. Also, at some point around 1830 they gave themselves the designation of National Guard to emulate an organization in France created by Lafayette. They were the only unit in New York with the name National Guard until the Civil War when the state designated all the militia as National Guard. So as confusing as it seems as they really were infantry at the time in question, the artillery insignia are correct for their uniforms and shakos.

One interesting bit of trivia is that at the beginning of the war they included among their members - as a mere private, I believe - Robert Gould Shaw, who would later lead the 54th Mass. Vol's. and die at Battery Wagner.

One interesting bit of trivia is that at the beginning of the war they included among their members - as a mere private, I believe - Robert Gould Shaw, who would later lead the 54th Mass. Vol's. and die at Battery Wagner.
Another example of someone who, though a low ranking member of the 7th, because of the unit's reputation and military training obtained there, went on to become an officer in later regiments.

Just wanted to provide some updated information for anyone who may view this thread doing their own research in the future. As I have mentioned in another thread, I did find the original owner of this shako listed in the 1858 roll of the 7th New York State Militia. In addition, in the mail today I just received my first edition copy of "The History of the 7th Regiment of New York 1806-1889", which surpassed my expection in giving dates and details regarding uniform and hat changes. As indicated by photos of the passages below, this style shako was adopted by the Regiment in May 1853.

20210105_181319.jpg

20210105_181230.jpg

Back