What is this? Help identify a bayonet please

bdaniels2234

Cadet
IMG_20201217_194925.jpg
IMG_20201217_194321.jpg
IMG_20201217_194729.jpg
IMG_20201217_194745.jpg

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Id..._States__19th_Century_/us_19th_century_2.html

Based on the above source, it looks in my opinion to be a M1842 or M1855 bayonet... exact dimensions would help to narrow down which, especially the diameter of the socket since that would reveal what caliber gun it was fitted to. The “US” would be the proof and I think the “a” is an arsenal name, though which arsenal that stands for I am not sure. It could also be a inspectors initials but usually that’s two or more letters... I look forward to what others have to say!

Hello thanks for the info yea couldn't find my dang tape measure but when I do I'll take measurements and put them up. Yea I believe it's a "S" below the US stamp, also I've read at place the little chip above the US stamp is a test thing they did to test the hardness. I also saw where you could out a penny in the end and the penny fit. I not quite sure what the penny meant tho. Lol

The devil is in the details on these as they were modified after the CW for the trap door so length and inside of the socket will be the tell. Also, we have a TON of info on these bayonet right here at CWT. Just go up to the upper right hand corner where the search button is any type in bayonet and you will find a great deal of info.

1608303116806.png

Hey thanks for all the info guys!! But yes this is how I bought it it's missing the locking ring but I thought it was cool anyway!! I'm.in at 35 bucks for it! I'm prolly gonna give it to my dad for Xmas. But once I find a tape measure I'll get dimensions for it!!

You did well, even without the locking ring. In the condition shown in the photos, the Model 1873 typically goes from $80 - $110. You can find an original locking ring if you look hard for about $10. Your dad will be happy with his gift, I'm sure.

Back