Harvey's Scouts...

This story gets better and better::: They have a Monument...
He made a monument to his body servant and memorial stained glass window to his wife... I impressed by his desire for people he cared about to be remembered...

Thanks for this thread @5fish.

It brought back many memories.

Prior to my retirement, I worked in Canton, Mississippi.
When I needed to get away from the chaos at the office, I would often spend my lunch hour in the historic Canton Cemetery. I ate many sandwiches by the Harvey Scouts monument.
:bounce:

The Willis Howcott monument was also close by.

n 1917, he also provided a stained glass window at Grace Episcopal Church, Canton,

That's another interesting historic site.

I've been a part of many weddings and funerals at Grace Episcopal.

One other historical note, CSA General Leonidas Polk was one this church's first Episcopalian Priests.

8ca05ddc-a9c5-407e-9e14-dc7819fbdf92_l.jpg

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=7d76ade3-1d6b-4309-baa6-15e97df9a1a8&gid=3

Last edited:
Did you know the back story behind the monuments at the time...?
No, I didn't.

I had never heard of Harvey's Scouts.
This group had been on my list to look into, but I moved from that area after a few years and honestly forgot about them.

However, I was intrigued with the Willis Howcott monument.

If I recall correctly:

That monument was erected on the edge of the cemetery. However, by the 1970/80's the City of Canton had expanded it's city limits and this monument was literally in between two homes within a subdivision.

When I left Canton around 2011, the Howcott monument was in the process of being moved down the street to a separate
historic park owned by the the City.

I read this church is the most photographed and painted church in Mississippi...

I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Grace Episcopal is a beautiful little church.

Back