Hardtack Cooler

9th US Regulars

Private
Joined
Nov 10, 2021
I had some time on my hands, and decided to build myself some additional gear. The company kitchen impression I was with at Gettysburg left me thinking about better ways to store food for the weekend. We had a big kitchen cart to store the cooking tools, but still relied on plastic coolers in an adjacent wedge tent. That led to difficulties and a lot of spoilage.

So I imagined this; a hardtack box lined with insulating foam and fiberglassed on the inside. So here's the first box I've made. I still want to add a clear matte polyurethane to protect the wood. Then I'll add the sapling straps-unless y'all think the straps might have been pulled off a crate entirely when opened in the field. Was debating if I should go ahead and hinge the top, or just lift it off.. Anyway, I thought a pair of coolers like this would be easy to keep an eye on during the day.

Then I had enough extra wood to throw together an ammo box. I haven't decided what set of stencils to use for it yet. I'll use it to store my reenacting powder separately from my live cartridges.

So yeah. Showing off a little bit. But seriously, full sapling straps or no?
IMG_4380.jpeg
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top