Real or Faux? Griswold & Gunnison

Johnny Shafto

Corporal
16B55CAA-805C-4F47-A47A-3ADC60C9A4FE.jpeg

We will need way more photos to include all the stampings and makers marks

Markings along the top of the barrel?
Do we need a detailed photo of the top of the barrel? Although the revolver does not belong to me, and is not currently in my possession, additional photos are possible. Specific instructions would be helpful. The piece has been in the owner’s family for over 60 years, maybe longer.

Last edited:
Do we need a detailed photo of the top of the barrel? Although the revolver does not belong to me, and is not currently in my possession, additional photos are possible. Specific instructions would be helpful. The piece has been in the owner’s family for over 60 years, maybe longer.
?
We will need way more photos to include all the stampings and makers marks

I know good men earn a livelihood identifying the real from the others. Their knowledge and expertise is of incalculable value and I would never wish to usurp their services. My intention here is rather to determine if anything is obviously out of place. If nothing suspicious is found by this initial foray I will present this piece to an expert for first hand evaluation. LANYARD PULLER has already indicated the possibility of authenticity which has raised expectations. I would also be curious as to the general consensus regarding condition. From images presented online, such as those kindly offered by Sergeant MdieseI, assume quite good. If anyone would like to review additional images, if specifics can be made, I will do my best to oblige. My most sincere thanks to everyone.

Last edited:
I know good men earn a livelihood identifying the real from the others. Their knowledge and expertise is of incalculable value and I would never wish to usurp their services. My intention here is rather to determine if anything is obviously out of place. If nothing suspicious is found by this initial foray I will present this piece to an expert for first hand evaluation. LANYARD PULLER has already indicated the possibility of authenticity which has raised expectations. I would also be curious as to the general consensus regarding condition. From images presented online, such as those kindly offered by Sergeant MdieseI assume quite good. If anyone would like to review additional images, if specifics can be made, I will do my best to oblige. My most sincere thanks to everyone.
If LP is leaning that way he is as good as it gets. If possible could you post closeup photos of the serial # stamping?

At your behest...
I find only 3 numerical locations. Interesting how with both 3464 sequence locations the numbers are offset in identical fashion. I suspect this might indicate the numbers were first placed in some type of stamping holder then stamped into the revolver. Fascinating.

B6437E44-2412-4F94-AF4D-ACCDBB86E5DB.jpeg

77910E12-F2DB-471C-90B7-708D8FA29F37.jpeg

0E2423EA-0B8B-4E79-80BC-3DCB20CE84AA.jpeg

Back