Ammo Grapeshot..?

kcox418

Private
Joined
Feb 18, 2020
I know this gets asked a lot. But I'm by far an expert. So ask i shall!
Measure 1.97in
Weighs a little over a pound.
Came out of a river.
IMG_6311.webp


IMG_6315.webp


IMG_6319.webp
 
What River would that be? Is it wide enough to handle small boat traffic? Could be a cannonball from a swivel cannon (maybe older than Civil War). I have one that the barrel would fit that plus have a cannonball the same size as yours.
 
I'm no expert, but that looks more like canister than grape. I always thought grape was the size of 00 Buckshot.
You've kind of got that backwards: canister is about quarter-sized in diameter and fired from field guns; grape is 1-2 inches and fired from naval guns. No artillery used anything like buckshot (although there were buck and ball loads used in smoothbore muskets).
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top