Period Grape Juice Lemonade

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
We have had bad weather, storms and rain for days. It is very warm today and feels like Spring is coming. This lemonade drink hits the spot for today.

The recipe is from " The Metropolitan Cook Book", a book given to Metropolitan Life Insurance customers. It dates back to 1920s. I got it from a dear old friend from Church I went to years ago. She has now passed on but left notes on the recipes in several of her cookbooks which she had given to me.

Grape Juice Lemonade

juice of 3 lemons
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups grape juice
enough ice water to make a quart

Combine ingredients in the order given. Chill for half an hour. Serve in each glass a thin slice of lemon from which the seeds have been removed. This quantity will serve six water glasses or eighteen punch glasses.

It is very refreshing.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company was founded in 1863 as the National Union Life and Limb Insurance Company. The company insured Civil War sailors and soldiers against disabilities from wartime wounds, accidents and sickness.

In 1868 it became known as Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. Through many years, good times and bad, it grew to become the largest insurer in America. It later was known as MetLife. It is still one of largest insurers in the world.

They gave this cookbook to many customers. It had many tips on foods and how to prepare them. It is divided into chapters on Beverages, Cereals, Batters and dough, Toast, Soups, Fish. Meats, Poultry, Vegetables, Salads, Puddings, Cakes, Cookies and Invalid cooking, to name some of chapters.

As the book states it was prepared to help the housewife in her everlasting question, "What shall I have for dinner tonight ?"

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Great recipe for grape lemonade, it's different and livens things up a bit. I love the Starbucks passion fruit tea iced with a dash of lemonade in it, such a refreshing drink.

As the book states it was prepared to help the housewife in her everlasting question, "What shall I have for dinner tonight ?"
Indeed, don't we all still ask that question almost a 100 years later? Some things never ever change :geek: