Gold Eagle Patch

Larryh86GT

1st Lieutenant
This small keepsake patch recently caught my eye on an auction. It is 3" tall and 2 1/8" wide. The gold braid is metal. It
was described as being an epaulet but it is interesting. Does anyone recognize what it may be from? Or an era?
Larry

Gold Eagle patch 9-15-21 9.JPG

Gold Eagle patch 9-15-21 (3).JPG

Gold Eagle patch 9-15-21 (6).JPG

Gold Eagle patch 9-15-21 (8).JPG

This small keepsake patch recently caught my eye on an auction. It is 3" tall and 2 1/8" wide. The gold braid is metal. It
was described as being an epaulet but it is interesting. Does anyone recognize what it may be from? Or an era?
Larry

View attachment 414138

View attachment 414139

View attachment 414140

View attachment 414141
Yes - that is an embroidered oval that's affixed to the side of an officer's M.1858 Hardee or Dress Hat; it holds up the brim on one side.

Last edited:
Found it:
Bullion Hardee Hat Insignia
10679.jpg

Click to Enlarge​

This is an original bullion insignia for a CW Hardee Hat which was sewed onto the side of the soldier's tall headgear. This one seems to be an unused surplus example. Note use of various bright wires to make design and border.

Embroidered oval patch features spread-winged eagle with shield design. Background is black felt with gold bullion thread and sequence used to embroider the border and eagle. Gold is semi-bright, with some original gilt remaining on higher surfaces. Back of patch is brown polished cotton and is hand-stitched to the black felt. There is an attachment loop present at the bottom. The edges of the black felt are worn, but otherwise patch is intact and stitching is tight. Measures approx. 3 ¼ X 2 ¼.

Last edited:
It could be the 8th Wisconsin who carried a live bald eagle named "Old Abe" into battle as part of their colors... This regiment had a special eagle emblem for their regimental flag instead of the usual state flag, and the regiment was nicknamed the "Eagle Regiment"... the eagle patch for the 101st Airborne today is honoring Old Abe.

View attachment 414167
No, this was standard for all Army officer's for their "Hardee" hat, while the rank and file had the sheet brass "Jeff Davis" eagle. General Orders No. 3 (March 24, 1858) dictated that officers will have the brim of the hat looped up on the left side with an eagle and feathers to be attached to the right side. I have added a picture from the Schuyler, Hartley & Graham catalog, where many officers would pick out their uniforms and accouterments. Officers would order their hats complete with all required insignia and embellishment.

IMG_5196.JPG

Larry

View attachment 414138

View attachment 414139

View attachment 414140

View attachment 414141
Larry, Follow the Forums listings down to "Sutlers & ..." click on the "wanted Insignia" listing from Salter to see other examples.........

Back