Glowing

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
Women glow, men sweat.

Unless you are wearing the full civil war ladies " kit". I wear, from foot to noggin..stockings, boots, pantaloons..(stitched crotch, thank you oh so very much)..privacy petticoat, hoops, lined skirt, chemise, corsett, bodice with collar and sleeves...no corsett cover as yet..but might do something from modern wear..still a good 8 layers. And hot. The schools air handling is a joke..my hand fan is a godsend!

I do not glow. I sweat buckets. Like wring me out at the end of the day. And yes, my gear is cotton..any suggestions? Favorite antiperspirant? Just go with the sweaty glow? Drink copious mugs of water? How in heavens did the gals do this?

So they say...but I've never just glowed. I've always soaked through no matter how few layers I'm wearing (it's a family trait, apparently).

Water is a must. Personally, I have found that my corset stays actually help cool me down. Stay in the shade? :smile:

How in heavens did the gals do this?

I think in some ways, people were simply used to being hot (unlike we in this modern era with that delightful invention called A/C)...so maybe they just didn't think about it.

Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow. That's from my mother- and I still cross my legs, not ankles only with great guilt. Perhaps you glow, with copious dampness? :angel:

Our poor ancestors died- fell over and died on a regular basis from heat stroke. Rats, wish I could remember which CSA general survived the war, retired to his property and promptly did exactly that, poor guy. It seems so insane no one thought to say " Take off some clothing! "

There's a large Amish population in our area. Summers see women out in their amazing, huge gardens in gazillion degree weather, long skirts, leather boots, no hats. How do they, and all of you, do it?

Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow. That's from my mother- and I still cross my legs, not ankles only with great guilt. Perhaps you glow, with copious dampness? :angel:

Our poor ancestors died- fell over and died on a regular basis from heat stroke. Rats, wish I could remember which CSA general survived the war, retired to his property and promptly did exactly that, poor guy. It seems so insane no one thought to say " Take off some clothing! "

There's a large Amish population in our area. Summers see women out in their amazing, huge gardens in gazillion degree weather, long skirts, leather boots, no hats. How do they, and all of you, do it?

They are made of sterner stuff? Or they just know when they need to go in and set a spell? Skirts and loose blouses are actually cooler than skin tight garb. And what they wear is oh so breathable cotton..for the most part. Still could not do what they do!

So they say...but I've never just glowed. I've always soaked through no matter how few layers I'm wearing (it's a family trait, apparently).

Water is a must. Personally, I have found that my corset stays actually help cool me down. Stay in the shade? :smile:

I think in some ways, people were simply used to being hot (unlike we in this modern era with that delightful invention called A/C)...so maybe they just didn't think about it.

I think there may be some truth to that theory.

When I was in Okinawa during my time in the Marines, as a Pennsylvanian I found their summers unbearably hot. Okinawa's weather is a lot like south Florida, hot and muggy summers, short mild winters, and the occasional tropical storm or typhoon/hurricane in between. I'd be wearing shorts and t-shirt while out in town and still sweating, but there would be old Okinawan men walking around with long pants and long-sleeved collared shirts, all buttoned up, who looked like they weren't bothered by the heat and humidity at all.

Last edited:
Acclimation is the key.

I moved from the North to Washington, D.C. in early summer about 25 years ago. After about two months in that heat and humidity, my wife and I seriously considered moving back. Second summer wasn't so bad. By third summer, we were used to it. Now, we are on putting sweaters when the temp falls under 70.

I think there may be some truth to that theory.

When I was in Okinawa during my time in the Marines, as a Pennsylvanian I found their summers unbearably hot. Okinawa's weather is a lot like south Florida, hot and muggy summers, short mild winters, and the occasional tropical storm or typhoon/hurricane in between. I'd be wearing shorts and t-shirt while out in town and still sweating, but there would be old Okinawan men walking around with long pants and long-sleeved collared shirts, all buttoned up, who looked like they weren't bothered by the heat and humidity at all.

Having lived in Florida and working on fences and doing other physical labor in the middle of summer (even sometimes the heat of the day), I learned why all the old timers wear long-sleeve shirts year-round. The sun is so hot that the long-sleeve actually protect you from baking--if you have the cuffs unbuttoned and rolled up a fold or three (my Granddaddy always rolled his sleeves up just past wrist length) to allow airflow up the sleeve, prompting evaporative cooling (otherwise--you boil in your clothes. :D) I followed the example and am as comfortable as you can be with sweat running off you in jeans and long-sleeve shirt in the summer. (My mom thinks I'm nuts...she was born and grew up there with no air conditioner so it goes to show not everyone acclimates the same.)

Tomorrow is my big day. I am bringing my ceramic mug for water, my lovely hand fan, and little snacks, to keep me from getting hungry during my presentations..about 7 periods worth? It is an all day deal. :D The kids will like it.

Our high is supposed to be 73, so kinda nice. I might be able to open a window...

IMG_0674.JPG Post performance picture at home. Not the best, but it shows the dress

Back