Pop, pop, pop..ahhhhh!

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
The sound heard North and South, when on a warm day, Milady finally pops open the busk of her corset, and revels in the increase in air circulation around her..um..well..it ain’t her toes..what I mean to say that even my hair felt cooler today!

Did my Civil War presentation today. Humidity was above 70 percent..Every item of my small clothes were absolutely soaked with “glow” because women don’t sweat...the fibers in the small clothes are mostly cotton..should breathe..corset is cotton coitille..(sp?) still I needed to be wrung out at the end of my day..
How did our ancestors do this? Every day, all summer long?

Women are not the weaker sex. Just spend some time in hose, bloomers, privacy petticoat, hoop, corset, corset cover, chemise, lined skirt, lined bodice. Add heat, humidity. Let stand for several hours. Water frequently. In and out..feed, put to bed.

It was fun and I would do it again in a heart beat!

I've made a number of corsets in my day... always felt a little guilty about it.

Of course, I would commonly wear cotton drawers, a wool shirt, a wool waistcoat, wool jean trowsers, a wool jean jacket, a wool felt hat... IF I was going as a Reb. As a Yank, I'd have wool kersey trowsers, a wool sack coat lined in wool flannel, and a wool forage cap.

Perhaps the entire era had it out for us humans!

I must say, even with 'abbreviated' underthings, (it was only my second event, we're working on it) I still had trouble...and then the temperatures dropped in the evening and I was wishing for a shawl. Sometimes, there's just no winning.

And I have another one in three weeks. So excited!

Back