Period Ginger Nuts

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I believe these might be the period version of modern day gingersnaps. These period recipes are perfect for the holiday season and come from the Ladies Indispensable Assistantby E. Hutchinson 1852. It's a very fascinating volume for anyone who wants to know everything a 19th century woman would find helpful in her daily life.

Ginger Nuts - No. 1

Take one quart of molasses; mix with it one pound and three-quarters of sugar, one and a quarter of butter, seven of flour, four ounces of ginger, a nutmeg, and a little cinnamon.

Ginger Nuts - No. 2

Melt three quarters of a pound of butter with a pint of molasses and half pound of sugar. When col, mix with it three pounds of flour, half an ounce of ginger and a little rose-water.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 170940
I believe these might be the period version of modern day gingersnaps. These period recipes are perfect for the holiday season and come from the Ladies Indispensable Assistant by E. Hutchinson 1852. It's a very fascinating volume for anyone who wants to know everything a 19th century woman would find helpful in her daily life.

Ginger Nuts - No. 1

Take one quart of molasses; mix with it one pound and three-quarters of sugar, one and a quarter of butter, seven of flour, four ounces of ginger, a nutmeg, and a little cinnamon.

Ginger Nuts - No. 2

Melt three quarters of a pound of butter with a pint of molasses and half pound of sugar. When col, mix with it three pounds of flour, half an ounce of ginger and a little rose-water.
I thought at first you were posting about nuts,not little cookies.

Recipe from Godey's Lady's Book, 1860.

Gingerbread Nuts

"Two pounds of flour, one and a quarter pound of molasses, half a pound of sugar (brown sugar), two ounces of ginger, 1/4 lb. of butter (melted), and a small quantity of Cayenne pepper. The above to be mixed together and rolled out about the thickness of half an inch, or not quite so much, to be cut into cakes, and baked in a moderate oven."

Recipe from Godey's Lady's Book, 1860.

Gingerbread Nuts

"Two pounds of flour, one and a quarter pound of molasses, half a pound of sugar (brown sugar), two ounces of ginger, 1/4 lb. of butter (melted), and a small quantity of Cayenne pepper. The above to be mixed together and rolled out about the thickness of half an inch, or not quite so much, to be cut into cakes, and baked in a moderate oven."

This recipe is interesting given it has cayenne pepper in it. That must add an interesting amount of heat to things! I might have to try that the next time I make these - thanks Donna!

It might be odd, but I have never had ginger nuts or ginger snaps at all. My family just did not eat them. So these are very new to me. Thanks for posting @Anna Elizabeth Henry.

Glad I could introduce you to something new. I'm a big fan of ginger snaps. They are tasty, great with tea or coffee -or even on their own. I always warn people it's very easy to over bake them as cookies that have darker colored batter make it tough to judge when they are done, so be vigilant with not over baking them or else you'll have tooth breaking ginger snaps!

Thought I would bump this thread up as ginger nuts is an older term for gingersnaps which is very similar to gingerbread. Interestingly enough the one recipe calls for rosewater, so that might an interesting fragrant cookie.

Back