Ghost Tours

Sorry, but as far as I know Jackson's arm was amputated by Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire and he is buried in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond. Have a look here:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/...l=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=5908003&df=all&
Maybe it was a memorial for Dr. McGuire that you saw in Roanoke?

This is how rumors start - lol!

It wasn't even Roanoke but Blacksburg where my sister lives. My goodness, my memory is shocking!

Anyway, what was it about his arm??? Engraved on the stone about being an "attending" physician for removal of his arm? Did his children live on this story - or rather he did until *they* were sick of hearing it! :wink:

Westview Cemetery (Jean Elliott)

Westview cemetery is located close to downtown Blacksburg. Formed from land deeded to the town by Blacksburg’s founder, William Black, several notable Civil War veterans are buried there:

Dr. Harvey Black (1827-1888), a descendant of Blacksburg’s founder William Black. A doctor before the Civil War, Black was an attending physician during the amputation of General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s left arm following the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863.

It wasn't even Roanoke but Blacksburg where my sister lives. My goodness, my memory is shocking!

Anyway, what was it about his arm??? Engraved on the stone about being an "attending" physician for removal of his arm? Did his children live on this story - or rather he did until *they* were sick of hearing it! :wink:

Westview cemetery is located close to downtown Blacksburg. Formed from land deeded to the town by Blacksburg’s founder, William Black, several notable Civil War veterans are buried there:

Dr. Harvey Black (1827-1888), a descendant of Blacksburg’s founder William Black. A doctor before the Civil War, Black was an attending physician during the amputation of General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s left arm following the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863.
Ah, okay, thank you for the reply! I don't know, but can imagine that more than one doctor cared for an important general like Stonewall Jackson. So, while Hunter McGuire had the overall responsibility and stayed with Jackson until the end, it is very well possible that mors doctors cared for him during the surgery and while he seemingly improved and recovered. Things looked pretty well at first until pneumonia put and end to all hopes.
Thanks again, I will watch out for Dr. Black when I'll read Robertson's bio about Stonewall Jackson, which is next on my list.:smile:

Lol the start of our healthcare system. Both the attending and administering doctor could probabaly bill the insurance for this procedure...

Back