1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Ghost Tours

Discussion in 'Hauntings of the Great Rebellion' started by Jackson'sArm, May 27, 2017.

1. Jackson'sArm

Jackson'sArm Corporal

Ghost tours always seem like an odd little embarrassment around the battlefields. Who would pay for such a thing? And then there are the theological difficulties. Traveling with a friend once, who really REALLY wanted to go on a ghost tour, I did the gracious thing (well, she had gone to the Maritime Museum with me) and went along. I must say, it was fascinating historically. I'm sure there are good and bad tour guides, but we got a good 'un.

The article below begins with a defense of ghost tours and folklore, and ends up with a perspective on battlefield preservation and manipulation.

"The result is a battlefield highly effective in educating visitors of the events, but a landscape devoid of meaning and memory to residents who lived there after the battle had subsided... This dark side of preservation is rarely recognized."

https://thehistorybandits.com/2015/10/29/a-defense-of-ghost-tours-in-gettysburg-pa/

FarawayFriend, JohnW., bdtex and 4 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Cavalry Charger

Cavalry Charger Sergeant Major

I enjoyed reading this, and it seems like a well researched and thoughtful article. This little snippet stood out for me:

"An academic investigation of the battlefield might teach us of the powerful Major General John F. Reynolds’ heroic deeds. The role of a ghost story, however, is to tell the tale of the powerless Katherine May Hewitt—Catholic fiancée to General Reynolds whose ghost has reportedly been seen tending to his bloody corpse in the back of the George George House on Steinwehr Avenue. For Gettysburg, only by embracing both methods of historical inquiry, “the sacred as well as the secular,” and “the powerless as well as the powerful,” can we begin to “account for the whole of the human condition.” Ghost tours reinforce the fact that, though the battle lasted only three days, its tragedy spanned a lifetime".

4. Mint Julep

Mint Julep Corporal

The new cottage industry.

JohnW. likes this.
  5. huskerblitz

huskerblitz Captain Forum Host

6. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Ghost tours are fun and provide varying levels history too. More importantly, they get your non-CivilWar loving family to visit a battlefield with you.

7. Irishtom29

Irishtom29 Sergeant

Ghost tours are a racket. Pandering to superstition and ignorance has little to do with history. Entertainment, yes. During my time as an NPS volunteer at the Castillo de San Marcos I heard local commercial tour guides spread so much nonsense it....argh.

Mint Julep and JohnW. like this.
  8. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Hey @Jackson'sArm . Ever been to Ellwood, the Lacy place in the Wilderness where Stonewall's arm was buried?

Cavalry Charger and JohnW. like this.
  9. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose First Sergeant Member of the Month

I enjoyed the article @Jackson'sArm! Thanks for sharing! I especially like the Joshua Chamberlain quote. I think many of us have felt this way when we have visited Gettysburg.

"In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays. Forms change and pass; bodies disappear; but spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision-place of souls.”​

10. Mint Julep

Mint Julep Corporal

It has become a major racket, similar to the snake oil salesmen of the period. I'm sure much of what is told is pure fantasy, I'll save my money.

11. Cavalry Charger

I like that part, too, Eleanor Rose. Very poignant indeed...

12. Cavalry Charger

Is there a 'ghost story' attached to that as well? That would certainly be interesting...

JohnW. and Eleanor Rose like this.
  13. Cavalry Charger

34a01bc8b5c09fa2a6dac87526d037bc.jpg Discovered on Pinterest!

14. Republican Blues

Republican Blues 2nd Lieutenant

Ghost tours.. ugh! The stories told about the Scarbrough House where I work at are enough to make me bang my head against the wall.. the bain of my existence!

15. Cavalry Charger

Like this :banghead:?

Fancy sharing any of those stories? We are on the 'hauntings' thread after all...

NH Civil War Gal likes this.
  16. NH Civil War Gal

NH Civil War Gal Sergeant

I was in Roanoke 18 months ago and I sure wish I had thought to take a picture of the grave - of the Dr - who amputated Jackson's arm! It was listed on his stone and I was like, "what - that was a thing?" Sort of like, "I danced with a guy, who danced with a girl, who danced with the Prince of Wales."

Cavalry Charger likes this.
  17. NH Civil War Gal

NH Civil War Gal Sergeant

Yes, please tell us the haunting stories of Scarbrough House.

Cavalry Charger likes this.
  18. Cavalry Charger

You mean it was on his gravestone that he amputated Jackson's arm??

19. Republican Blues

Republican Blues 2nd Lieutenant

That's just it there are NONE..and the ghost tours make things up.. like our scrimshaw collection rearranges itself at night.. I have been there 5 years and nothing I say again nothing of the sort has ever occured

20. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Sorry, but as far as I know Jackson's arm was amputated by Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire and he is buried in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond. Have a look here:
    https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/...l=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=5908003&df=all&
    Maybe it was a memorial for Dr. McGuire that you saw in Roanoke?

21. dlavin

dlavin First Sergeant

I've never been on one but I can see taking the family on one.

I've stayed in the Dobbin House at Gettysburg. Trying to remember the name of the room but it's door was right on Steinwehr street. I swear that late at night there was all kinds of noises, sounds of feet, and other things. Woke my wife up one time and she is soundest sleeper I've ever met.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)