Sutlers- Cheers & Jeers Getting started, need help

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
I made a post yesterday that I was thinking of building a Confederate Character based on a Chaplain. However, after much thought I have decided to consider other options. My question is how do you really get started selecting a uniform, rank, unit etc. I am at a total lose on where to begin. I have been looking at sutler web sites and now I am more confused than ever. So many different types etc. Can I get a few suggestions for directions. Thank you in advance. Or do you think I should stick with continuing research on a Chaplain.

I made a post yesterday that I was thinking of building a Confederate Character based on a Chaplain. However, after much thought I have decided to consider other options. My question is how do you really get started selecting a uniform, rank, unit etc. I am at a total lose on where to begin. I have been looking at sutler web sites and now I am more confused than ever. So many different types etc. Can I get a few suggestions for directions. Thank you in advance. Or do you think I should stick with continuing research on a Chaplain.
If you are writing fiction the unit and characters can also be fictional. You may wish to place fictional characters in a historic unit like Shaara put Buster Kilrain in the 20th Maine. If your story is character driven, you may not want to go into too much detail on uniforms or equipment. In combat, the weapons will matter only in type - rifles for enlisted men and pistols or swords for officer. There's no need to go into minute detail. If you convey the action of combat well, it is not necessary to minutely describe the weaponry and equipment. Remember, even though you're writing fiction, you're writing about historical events. Let the history tell you where to begin and end.

LOL it seems my wording was not the best for this question. I definetly am not a writer. I wish I were. It was not my intention to mislead anyone. I am just considering becoming a re-enactor and trying to decide how to select the proper uniform items. I have no idea where to start. Of course (due to my heritage) a confederate soldier seems the best. At 68 years old I am not sure which direction to go. Enlisted or junior officer etc. Again I apologize for the misleading phrasing of my earlier question. Thank you for your response.

What we have here is a failure to communicate :bounce:! Virginian into the Chicago dialect is a long trip! And they make fun of my Mississippi accent:dance:
Regards
David

The best thing to do is find a group in your area and try out a couple of events. Most groups have some loaner gear to get your feet wet then go from there. The veterans of the group will point you in the right direction.

Thank you I am looking for one now. The closest is a Calvary unit. I don't have a horse! LOL
Maybe we can help. What area are you located? Are you looking to do a US or CS impression? There's reenactors on here from all over the country. I bet somebody here can give some recommendations. Another place to look is the Regimental Quartermaster site. They have a recruiting page with many groups from all over actively recruiting. It's also a good place to start when you start putting your kit together.

Thank you. My ancestors were on the Confederate side. I love in Virginia. So I guess CS. I will check out the Regimental Quartermaster site.
Dave, another place to look is the websites for the two umbrella organizations that many of the CS groups in the Mid Atlantic and Northeast belong to. The Army of Northern Virginia, 1stdivisionanv.org. and Longstreets Corps., longstreetscorps.com. They both list their member groups, I bet if you dropped them a line they could point you to groups in your area.

Back