General John Buford

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
General John Buford must have hated having his photograph taken. Even in the studio the man looks all business, non-smiling albeit not bad tempered. Reading of him, his health had taken a bad hit due to Buford performing as a cavalryman to the extreme- riding and fighting harder than other officers, sleeping on the ground frequently and being incredibly responsible towards his men.

This isn't at all a hollow recommendation, honest- if you like General John Buford you'll be in Heaven buying the book " The Devil's to Pay": John Buford at Gettysburg. A History and Walking Tour ".
OH that's right, written by Eric Wittenburg

buford 3 4ths.jpg

Anyway, this photo doesn't show up as much as the others, thought as long as he's been of interest it'd be good to bring it here. Had no clue it could be sourced via Wiki, interesting! Have a question ( of course ) if anyone knows- how were cavalry officers supposed to ride in those long, long jackets?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gen._John_Buford_-_NARA_-_529932.jpg

I just bought the hard cover copy of the book, to go along with my kindle version. I thought I had a hard copy, but found out I didn't when I went to bring it to have Eric sign on June 13. It crossed my mind to have Eric sign my kindle, but . . . :smile:

Back