Forrest Gen Forrest Orders Uniforms Dyed

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
Here is a yankee greatcoat that is in the Alabama archives that has a great story behind it. I would say that with it being winter and the fact that Forrest Cavalry Corps had just captured a bunch of yankees, I guess Forrest ordered this for the obvious reason.
Cavalry greatcoat worn by Pvt W. E. Englehardt, Co. K, 2nd Alabama cavalry. This Union overcoat was dyed brown as per General Order of Gen. Nathan B Forrest in December 1864 which stated "All men and officers belonging to this command who have blue yankee overcoats & clothing and who do not have them dyed by the 20th Inst. the coats especially will be taken from them.
Cavalry_greatcoat.jpg

1579479830275.png

That's a wonderful artifact! Very pleased to see one. I know about that order and it's kind of funny - Forrest's men had so much Union stuff by that time he was beginning to be concerned they'd be mistaken for Federals! When he told Hood he'd not made a requisition for anything for two years, this was why - he made many minor raids for supplies, and Bill's scouts weren't called the 40 Thieves for nothing. Forrest did some 'requisitioning' himself, too - they'd captured a Union officer who had a very good horse. Forrest ordered him off and got on himself - it suited him fine! (Did NOT suit the Union officer, however...)

That's a wonderful artifact! Very pleased to see one. I know about that order and it's kind of funny - Forrest's men had so much Union stuff by that time he was beginning to be concerned they'd be mistaken for Federals! When he told Hood he'd not made a requisition for anything for two years, this was why - he made many minor raids for supplies, and Bill's scouts weren't called the 40 Thieves for nothing. Forrest did some 'requisitioning' himself, too - they'd captured a Union officer who had a very good horse. Forrest ordered him off and got on himself - it suited him fine! (Did NOT suit the Union officer, however...)
I guess at that time and after Forrest had just captured all them yankees the whole command was dressed in blue and eating good as well.

I've often wondered what those Yank greatcoats looked like after reading the various methods of dyeing by the men, so much so that I've contemplated getting one myself and replicating some of the processes. Now that I know there's a surviving one I don't have to worry about that curiosity, costly experimentation avoided.

But something is off with that coat's button arrangement. Way its displayed perhaps?

The infantry great coat was different than the cavalry coat

I know that two well, its a major pain when making them. Infantry's way easier and its criminal how much topstitching the US Army had in those collars.

What looks odd to me in the picture is where the buttons are. Their too far off center as should be on a single breasted Infantry coat. The top button is right, but the rest veer off to the right. If not the way its displayed then maybe its owner moved the buttons for a better fit, but it would be more discernable when looking at the rest of the coat.

I know that two well, its a major pain when making them. Infantry's way easier and its criminal how much topstitching the US Army had in those collars.

What looks odd to me in the picture is where the buttons are. Their too far off center as should be on a single breasted Infantry coat. The top button is right, but the rest veer off to the right. If not the way its displayed then maybe its owner moved the buttons for a better fit, but it would be more discernable when looking at the rest of the coat.

Might be the soldier sewed them on in the field under less than ideal circumstances. There's a photo of Jackson with odd buttons - he had a loose one and sewed it on himself before the picture was taken! (I've always kind of liked that picture because of that.)

Incidentally, there was probably a stampede to get kettles a-boiling after that order came out! Greatcoats in particular were good as gold...and it was December. There would be a considerable process, too. They would likely have lightened up the blue, particularly if it was a dark shade, with maybe lye. Then there would be a tub for the walnut or acorn shells to get at least the butternut color, then another hot tub of vinegar to set the dye. I can see why Forrest's men needed some prodding to get the job done!

Besides the color, I think the second - maybe first! - biggest problem with the uniforms was the seat of the britches. More than one cavalryman said he had 'a flag of truce' flapping in the breeze behind him!

Speaking of trousers, did the Confederate officers have blue ones? The only photo I've seen of Forrest full length, it looked like his pants were very light with a double stripe down the leg. I do know many of his men said they wore blue trousers so regularly they thought it was the correct uniform!

I've often wondered what those Yank greatcoats looked like after reading the various methods of dyeing by the men, so much so that I've contemplated getting one myself and replicating some of the processes. Now that I know there's a surviving one I don't have to worry about that curiosity, costly experimentation avoided.

But something is off with that coat's button arrangement. Way its displayed perhaps?
I think, it is the way, it is displayed and they didn't want to yank it to the front due to the rarity of the piece. Original Greatcoats are fairly sturdy due to their thick wool, but seams and buttons are easy to pop when manhandling them. I had a great piece that I had on a mannequin and popped a button getting the right front.

I think, it is the way, it is displayed and they didn't want to yank it to the front due to the rarity of the piece. Original Greatcoats are fairly sturdy due to their thick wool, but seams and buttons are easy to pop when manhandling them. I had a great piece that I had on a mannequin and popped a button getting the right front.

View attachment 343088
View attachment 343089

I had to use a small dress form, eliminating the chest area in order to get this to sit right, modern mannequins are way too large to display ACW clothing and I had to resort to this and children mannequins.

That's a real nice condition greatcoat!

Here's an earlier thread that some may enjoy:

… But something is off with that coat's button arrangement. Way its displayed perhaps?
It's just missing some of the buttons - look closely and you can see the buttonholes on the cape...

Edit: Maybe you were referring to something else - I thought you were talking about the buttons on the cape. If you meant the body, that just looks like it's crooked on the mannikin or form.

Last edited:
Sam Davis was wearing a Union greatcoat dyed black when captured. I think that was standard practice in Middle Tennessee for captured greatcoats.

Back