Forrest Gen Forrest Orders Uniforms Dyed

Here is a yankee greatcoat that is in the Alabama archives that has a great story behind it. I would say that with it being winter and the fact that Forrest Cavalry Corps had just captured a bunch of yankees, I guess Forrest ordered this for the obvious reason.
Cavalry greatcoat worn by Pvt W. E. Englehardt, Co. K, 2nd Alabama cavalry. This Union overcoat was dyed brown as per General Order of Gen. Nathan B Forrest in December 1864 which stated "All men and officers belonging to this command who have blue yankee overcoats & clothing and who do not have them dyed by the 20th Inst. the coats especially will be taken from them.
View attachment 342839
View attachment 342841
Were Confederate uniforms dyed butternut gray? could you explain how this was done?

Were Confederate uniforms dyed butternut gray? could you explain how this was done?

Was the Confederate armies so short of uniforms it became a ,wear what you git, sought of army? From pictures in the latter part of the war it appears that this was the case.The Union was able to supply the army with new uniforms because they had the factories to provide as needed.excepte for the Western army of Sherman ,but they seem to have taken pride in the fact compared to spruce up clean army of the East,aka the Grand parade in Washington.

Was the Confederate armies so short of uniforms it became a ,wear what you git, sought of army? From pictures in the latter part of the war it appears that this was the case.The Union was able to supply the army with new uniforms because they had the factories to provide as needed.excepte for the Western army of Sherman ,but they seem to have taken pride in the fact compared to spruce up clean army of the East,aka the Grand parade in Washington.

In Forrest's army, it was wear what's provided by the Yankees, and yes, by the end it's difficult to get cloth, etc. for the masses of men (someone might have something they squirreled away years before, but that would obviously be an individual thing). Look more on the Adolphus site for great info on Confederate uniforms...look under the "Research" tab. It's very extensive.

It's just missing some of the buttons - look closely and you can see the buttonholes on the cape...

Edit: Maybe you were referring to something else - I thought you were talking about the buttons on the cape. If you meant the body, that just looks like it's crooked on the mannikin or form.

Oh I was referring to the coat buttons, and how they veer off to the side. I'm pretty sure its the mannequin.

Back