Impressions GAR or UCV veteran impression

63rdOVI

Corporal
Has anyone here thought of actually reenacting a veteran of the war, such as a GAR or UCV man? I never reenacted, though I quite frequently donned the Union Blue for my SUVCW functions. I'm thinking that now that I'm old, fat, and white-haired and walk with a cane, I would be the perfect choice to play one of the old veterans of the war. Sitting under an SUVCW recruiting tent or on the sidelines of a parade as a veteran is a lot easier and cooler than marching.

Has anyone here thought of actually reenacting a veteran of the war, such as a GAR or UCV man? I never reenacted, though I quite frequently donned the Union Blue for my SUVCW functions. I'm thinking that now that I'm old, fat, and white-haired and walk with a cane, I would be the perfect choice to play one of the old veterans of the war. Sitting under an SUVCW recruiting tent or on the sidelines of a parade as a veteran is a lot easier and cooler than marching.
There are a couple people doing a GAR impression in the midwest.

You'd have a good bit of flexibility with either a UCV or GAR uniform, because there were a cross between styles -- semi-military, really. Appropriate buttons might be the hardest part.

There were no GARs or UCVs during the CW, so biggest question is where are the events you can take your impression to? You basically belong at late Victorian/Edwardian civilian events or at WW1 events (perhaps an occasional Indian campaign or Span-Am war event).

You'd be ok at a cross time event, of which there are a few now. I swung between CW and WW2 at one such event. It's all about allocating the space and time for two impressions, and not imposing yourself into some unit just because you have the kit. You make yourself known and chat it up the day before and await an invitation.

Last edited:
That's a great thought. I have several UCV uniforms in my collection but my favorite is WAY to small for me.
DSCN8921.JPG
DSCN8923.JPG
DSCN8941.JPG

I think it's a heck of a fine concept for reenactment! I am normally not much of a fan of reenactments (as most here already know about me), because I usually see a bunch of overweight, overage, gray headed guys just like me--except they are playing "dress up." However, adopting the role of an older veteran seems like a perfect thing to do!

Reactions: WJC
There were no GARs or UCVs during the CW, so biggest question is where are the events you can take your impression to? You basically belong at late Victorian/Edwardian civilian events or at WW1 events (perhaps an occasional Indian campaign or Span-Am war event).

You'd be ok at a cross time event, of which there are a few now. I swung between CW and WW2 at one such event. It's all about allocating the space and time for two impressions, and not imposing yourself into some unit just because you have the kit. You make yourself known and chat it up the day before and await an invitation.

There are usually plenty of sutler's tents and tents for historical groups at events such as "Civil War Days." Granted, it's not a full-scale reenactment, but sitting under a recruiting tent at the local history day parade would be one opportunity.

There are usually plenty of sutler's tents and tents for historical groups at events such as "Civil War Days." Granted, it's not a full-scale reenactment, but sitting under a recruiting tent at the local history day parade would be one opportunity.

For a GAR or UCV unit to occupy a tent at a Civil Wars days event requires explaining "we're from the future" so onlookers or potential recruits understand what you're doing there.*

A cross-time history day parade or event works, but attaching to a WW1 event schedule is the steady gig if you want to do this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*We've a local SUV chapter here that show ups up occasionally at CW events in their gaudy blue and red Zouave uniforms of the type used by local militia in the non-wartime period. They just sit like geezers the whole weekend. But we say nothing to them about it, it's their thing.

Last edited:
For a GAR or UCV unit to occupy a tent at a Civil Wars days event requires explaining "we're from the future" so onlookers or potential recruits understand what you're doing there.*

A cross-time history day parade or event works, but attaching to a WW1 event schedule is the steady gig if you want to do this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*We've a local SUV chapter here that show ups up occasionally at CW events in their gaudy blue and red Zouave uniforms of the type used by local militia in the non-wartime period. They just sit like geezers the whole weekend. But we say nothing to them about it, it's their thing.

Maybe I'll just stick to Memorial Day and the like, so I don't upset the "living historians."

Maybe I'll just stick to Memorial Day and the like, so I don't upset the "living historians."

What others might think is their problem only. If you 'd mostly want to be at CW events do it anyway, and enjoy it. It takes less than a minute to explain "we're from the future" for the occasional person attempting to butt into your gig. Then ask them how they got to the event, or what time they have on their cell phone.

I thought of doing this some years back. There are reproduction GAR buttons and hat badges, etc available, and they wore a wide variety of semi-uniform jackets. My thought also included in-costume talks to schools, historical societies and civic groups.

Your self-description could fit me as well. The reason I didn't follow up on it is that I'm now subject to episodes of transient global amnesia, and they won't let me drive any more -- wouldn't be able to get to events.

Last edited:
There are a couple people doing a GAR impression in the midwest.

Yep. I attended GAR events with Mudsills in the 1990s/2000s. Another example of how progressive these men and women were. Unfortunately, I don't have any photographs. There was a great one held at the Veteran's Hospital in Dayton, Ohio which dates to the 1867. It's a beautiful site with many original buildings and gardens. We had the GAR encampment, but also delivered supplies (books, cards, socks, toiletry items) to the veteran residents. The administrators were very cooperative. The guys went to great lengths to make GAR uniforms, encampment ribbons and badges; the ladies and children were dressed in late Victorian. I remember it with fondness as I hadn't seen some folks for ages.

-Yulie

Yep. I attended GAR events with Mudsills in the 1990s/2000s. Another example of how progressive these men and women were. Unfortunately, I don't have any photographs. There was a great one held at the Veteran's Hospital in Dayton, Ohio which dates to the 1867. It's a beautiful site with many original buildings and gardens. We had the GAR encampment, but also delivered supplies (books, cards, socks, toiletry items) to the veteran residents. The administrators were very cooperative. The guys went to great lengths to make GAR uniforms, encampment ribbons and badges; the ladies and children were dressed in late Victorian. I remember it with fondness as I hadn't seen some folks for ages.

-Yulie
My dad is doing GAR at the Dayton Va hospital in dayton Ohio this yr he loves it it fits in with the buildings

Please send me info when/if you have it. Thanks.

-Y
The Dayton Va is located on Gettysburg ave in Dayton Ohio and this event is part of there patriot fair on memorial day weekend there many other time periods will be there ww1 threw Vietnam my dad will be there and ill be there at western theater union solider.

Back