Forrest Forrest's Hernando Home Restored

And if they left it in Memphis, it would probably have to be destroyed anyway, since it belonged to Forrest.
Over the last twenty-five years, the Memphis metro has dramatically expanded across the state line into Mississippi.

The once small North Mississippi towns of Southaven, Olive Branch, and Hernando are no longer just small quaint towns.

Now it's almost impossible to know what state you're in while driving through that area.

Much like other urban areas within the USA . . . it's one big metropolitan suburb.

Very sad actually.

So yeah . . . I wish Forrest's Hernando home could have remained there, but on the other hand it would have probably been torn down to make room for a new Pizza Hut.

I'm glad the Fitch family had the vision to buy it and move the cabin to Holly Springs.

Last edited:
Over the last twenty-five years, the Memphis metro has dramatically expanded across the state line into Mississippi.

The once small North Mississippi towns of Southaven, Olive Branch, and Hernando are no longer just small quaint towns.

Now it's almost impossible to know what state you're in while driving through that area.

Much like other urban areas within the USA . . . it's one big metropolitan suburb.

Very sad actually.

So yeah . . . I wish Forrest's Hernando home could have remained there, but on the other hand it would have probably been torn down to make room for a new Pizza Hut.

I'm glad the Fitch family had the vision to buy it and move the cabin to Holly Springs.
Have a dear friend in Olive Branch and the area is as you say it is: suburban Memphis, but with Mississippi schools. Got a coin to flip?

From comparing the two photos, I'm thinking the 1900 picture is showing siding that had been applied over the original logs.

Unfortunately, that's not unusual.

We have a prewar, confederate veteran owned, home locally that was built with hand hewn logs for the foundation, then sided with sawn boards, then bricked in probably the 30's-50's.

We want to save this house, but, it's to far gone to restore to original. We are shooting to rehab it.

He had a home in Memphis. But he also had a 1,900 acre plantation in Coahoma County, Mississippi, about a mile East of the Mississippi River. It lies between Rena Lara and Sherard, MS. on Highway 1. I'm from there and remember it well. The state put a historic landmark sign there, but people kept stealing it. There was no home or buildings there during in my lifetime - past 64 years.
Larry, where was NBF's home? I understand it was at Green Grove Plantation in Sunflower Co., Miss.[/QUOTE

Wikipedia had this;
"Historians have evaluated contemporary records to conclude that Forrest may have killed more than thirty-three enemy soldiers with saber, pistol and shotgun."
I'm going to look it up in my books too.
He always said he was "one horse up on them." He had killed (I think) 32 men, and the enemy shot 31 horses from under him. I may be one off in my numbers.

He had a home in Memphis. But he also had a 1,900 acre plantation in Coahoma County, Mississippi, about a mile East of the Mississippi River. It lies between Rena Lara and Sherard, MS. on Highway 1. I'm from there and remember it well. The state put a historic landmark sign there, but people kept stealing it. There was no home or buildings there during in my lifetime - past 64 years.
Hello Indian Andy. Welcome to CivilWarTalk.

Last edited:
There was a question of the number of people Forrest personally killed, one way or another, and it can actually be tallied up the hard way by going through the records and reports, and eye witness accounts. For example, at Sacramento there were two killed and three sabered...no indication of who sabered them but there were six Union men who surrounded Forrest after he'd been thrown off his horse and dislocated his right shoulder. Two were killed by his men defending him and the other three had to have been done in by Forrest, busted wing or no! As it happened, Forrest was reckoned to be a master swordsman, a skill taken up by many planters, so he was perfectly capable of very quickly dispatching all comers via his double edged saber. Earlier, while leading the charge into the battle, Forrest ran his sword through the Union commander. That's 4 right there...and just about every battle where Forrest found himself engaged in personal combat, 4 to 6 guys were dead when it was over.

The secret was probably Forrest's astounding temper and the equally astounding transformation it made in him physically. The Hulk! Until he slept it off, he was just as dangerous after the battle - enough so his staff gave him as wide a berth as possible. Sometimes the word would go out: "Get Old Missus." That was the men's name for Mary Ann - she could calm the general down when no one else dared get near him!

There was a question of the number of people Forrest personally killed, one way or another, and it can actually be tallied up the hard way by going through the records and reports, and eye witness accounts. For example, at Sacramento there were two killed and three sabered...no indication of who sabered them but there were six Union men who surrounded Forrest after he'd been thrown off his horse and dislocated his right shoulder. Two were killed by his men defending him and the other three had to have been done in by Forrest, busted wing or no! As it happened, Forrest was reckoned to be a master swordsman, a skill taken up by many planters, so he was perfectly capable of very quickly dispatching all comers via his double edged saber. Earlier, while leading the charge into the battle, Forrest ran his sword through the Union commander. That's 4 right there...and just about every battle where Forrest found himself engaged in personal combat, 4 to 6 guys were dead when it was over.

The secret was probably Forrest's astounding temper and the equally astounding transformation it made in him physically. The Hulk! Until he slept it off, he was just as dangerous after the battle - enough so his staff gave him as wide a berth as possible. Sometimes the word would go out: "Get Old Missus." That was the men's name for Mary Ann - she could calm the general down when no one else dared get near him!

@Indian Andy and @diane, I asked the moderators to move our comments to this thread as I didn't want to get off topic in @civilwartalk's quotations forum. I thought this topic might be better in this thread as it has some discussions about the places NBF lived.

Last edited:
All I can say is that someone cares about historic structures and cares enough to save them. The restoration is very nice, and it will be protected. We have lost enough history for parking lots. Thanks for the thread and the pictures and information.
Thanks @mofederal!

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread.

Last edited:
Looks a little better here.......

upload_2017-9-13_13-53-49.png

Back