Restricted Forrest's Grave spray painted.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I see. Well, I think the protesters hurt their own cause by vandalizing even an admittedly questionable monument. I, for one, would have been much more sympathetic, otherwise.

What happens if the city decides it's cheaper to move the monument than to pay to keep cleaning it?

huskerblitz

Major
I see. Well, I think the protesters hurt their own cause by vandalizing even an admittedly questionable monument. I, for one, would have been much more sympathetic, otherwise.
They are. I'm all for protesting. But you break the law and I no longer have sympathy. There is a right and a wrong way to go about things. Vandalizing is not it.

diane

Retired User
:nah disagree: Well, what took them so long... Clearly the university and/or the city refuses to protect the burial. If nothing else, the statue is a genuine work of art. Article say the campus cops have better things to do, which I suppose is true, but the hooded ones are apt to fill their shoes if they don't find a little time. :cautious:

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
You know, seems this is what happens when the city sidesteps an entire issue, the wusses. Like everyone else. Instead of teaching History, with an Historical plaque, setting up actual face to face meetings with representatives of both the black community ( whose hugely valid points have yet to be heard ) and those who feel Forrest represents something in their history- getting the smouldering resentments out in the open they failed everyone. This brings no one together and adds to city eye sores, like sitting at a RR crossing watching spray painted box cars go by.

Sorry. Rant over.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I also dislike sitting at RR track seeing all the spray painted RR cars. It is so childish and also destructive. I just never understand people.

People take their anger out on inanimate objects that can cause no harm. Everyone needs to step back and try to think and to talk things out rather than acting so quickly without thought of what they doing. Now I am on rant. Sorry for being some off topic.

diane

Retired User
I also dislike sitting at RR track seeing all the spray painted RR cars. It is so childish and also destructive. I just never understand people.

People take their anger out on inanimate objects that can cause no harm. Everyone needs to step back and try to think and to talk things out rather than acting so quickly without thought of what they doing. Now I am on rant. Sorry for being some off topic.

That's very true - the inanimate object can't punch them in the nose! I do understand the problem with these kinds of memorials and Forrest in particular. Sometimes I wish these statues could be given the gift of speech for a few moments - you...yes, you there with the spray can! I want to have a few words with you... :whistling:

Allie

Captain
Am I the only person who likes painted RR cars? The spray paint does no harm and is often genuinely beautiful. Maybe our cars have a better caliber of artists.

It's not true that the complaints of the black community have not been heard. This is a majority black city with almost entirely black leadership, and several black politicians including the mayor and many city council members have spoken publicly on this subject many times. It is true that there has been no face-to-face meeting between advocates of removal and heritage advocates, but that's because there is no serious opposition to the removal of Forrest on a local government level, and the government feels no need to give people like Lee Millar (who has a well-known local history of making objectionable statements) face time.

DR_Hanna

First Sergeant
Am I the only person who likes painted RR cars? The spray paint does no harm and is often genuinely beautiful. Maybe our cars have a better caliber of artists.

Nope. I like'em too. Haven't seen too many profane tags. Trying to figure out how to tag some of my t00-new-looking HO boxcars. There is difference (albeit sometimes rather small) between graffiti, which can be viewed as folk art, and vandalism, which is destructive.

Allie

Captain
Nope. I like'em too. Haven't seen too many profane tags. Trying to figure out how to tag some of my t00-new-looking HO boxcars. There is difference (albeit sometimes rather small) between graffiti, which can be viewed as folk art, and vandalism, which is destructive.
Off topic, but I'd use an airbrush, or if you lack artistic talent a printable decal.