Filipinos and the CSS Gaines

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Chinese and Filipinos, starting in the early 1800s, had formed unique settlements in Louisiana's Barataria Bay. These people caught, processed and exported shrimp to China. For some reason a fair number of these Filipinos (known as Manilamen) served on the CSS Gaines. These included Seaman Francisco Sabarino, Mathew Francisco and seaman and then cook Juan Domingo. Domingo later served in the Spanish Guard of Mobile. The Spanish Guard was known to have several Filipinos.

Last edited:
Chinese and Filipinos, starting in the early 1800s, had formed unique settlements in Louisiana's Barataria Bay. These people caught, processed and exported shrimp to China. For some reason a fair number of these Filipinos (known as Manilamen) served on the CSS Gaines. These included Seaman Francisco Sabarino, Mathew Francisco and seaman and then cook Juan Domingo. Domingo later served in the Spanish Guard of Mobile. The Spanish Guard was know to have several Filipinos.
I did not know this major bill. Thanks.

I started a thread about Hawaiian and it made me think of other Asians who served in the Confederate military. So anyway I decided to bump this older thread.

Back