Fiddleheads

Congratulations! I didn't see this, this morning. I LOVE fiddleheads. I wanted to pick some this year but we had a sudden onset of 80 degree heat (suddenly the snow stopped and it was 80 degrees), and they uncurled too much.

The Bar Harbor brand of canned goods - for you fellows in the midwest and west - sells canned fiddleheads. Not as perfect as fresh but still very good.

Special Award to Northern Light for preparing and sharing with us an authentic food. Congratulations and thanks so much.

I'll say! Have heard of them- think my grandmother liked them, but never understood exactly what it was one did to prepare them?

@Northern Light , if you ' do ' these, you must know watercress, too? Love watercress ( and at least can say I've picked it, in creeks! ), no idea how else people prepared it beyond salad?

I'll say! Have heard of them- think my grandmother liked them, but never understood exactly what it was one did to prepare them?

@Northern Light , if you ' do ' these, you must know watercress, too? Love watercress ( and at least can say I've picked it, in creeks! ), no idea how else people prepared it beyond salad?
Watercress sandwiches

And soup

These are the first things that come to mind, but it is used in Asian cooking as well.
www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/watercress-recipes-soup-salad_n_3006513

Last edited by a moderator:
New one on me. What do they taste like? and can you batter them and fry like okra:D

They look wonderful! Do you have any idea whether "fiddleheads" from other varieties of fern are equally edible? (If this has been covered in a response that I skimmed over, I hereby apologize!)

You don't want to. I have a friend who has accidently ate other ones and we were just talking about it this weekend. She and her husband were fine but the fiddleheads had no taste or were bitter. I have heard of people having upset stomachs. Anything is possible but I haven't heard of them being like mushrooms where a "look-a-like" will kill you.

To me, fiddleheads have a wonderful sweet taste sauteed very lightly in butter.

New one on me. What do they taste like? and can you batter them and fry like okra:D

Light and sweet and I suppose you could batter them. But... not having the Southern gene, I'm not tempted to batter and fry:smile: I think battering and frying a fiddlehead would make it look like a battered and fried Oreo!

Back