Fallen Confederate in Triangular Field T&N

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
While in Gettysburg last fall, I took some photos in the Tri-field soon after it had been subjected to a controlled burn similar to the LRT burn that was done earlier this month. I shot one image intentionally trying to match one of Gardner's iconic photographs of the young Confederate soldier that he also photographed in the famous "sharpshooter's nest" 72 yards away. Not having Gardner's photo with me, I framed my shot strictly from memory and was surprised that it came out relatively close as shown in the then and now below. As we have discussed in previous threads, there is a very robust debate as to which location is actually where the soldier fell. As an aside, I have seen many posts and comments that imply many fallen soldiers were moved in order to be photographed in a more desirable location. However, in reality, this is the only documented case of a dead soldier photographed after having been moved by the photographer. Interesting to note that the sharpshooter's nest 72 yards away where this man was also photographed is seen in the background. The distinct round topped rock that forms the right side of the "nest" is easily distinguished in both the then and now. I will include a copy of the iconic sharpshooter photo for comparison.
sniper combo.jpg

sniper jpeg1.jpg

Back