Authentic "Excellent Strawberry Ice Cream"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Of course strawberry ice cream is a favorite and wonderful to have. This recipe is from Godey's. Civil War Recipes, dated 1862.

"Pass a pint of picked strawberries through a sieve with wooden spoon, add four ounces of powdered sugar and a pint of ice, and freeze."

If you can't make it, purchase your favorite strawberry ice cream for today or make a strawberry sundae.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Donna. Our family used to celebrate every family member's birthday with a homemade cake of their choice as well as homemade and hand cranked ice cream of their choice. For my birthday, I always wanted a strawberry cake with strawberry ice cream. My grandmother and mother never disappointed me. It was always delicious. Thanks for the memories. David.

I wish I could remember my recipe for strawberry ice cream, but it has been too long ago. I may try that the you supplied though. I love strawberry ice cream better than any other flavor. thanks for posting this.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
After Eleanor Rose posted her thread on Homemade Ice Cream, thought bring up several threads on ice cream. This is old one from 1862 from Godey's. They enjoyed their ice cream during Civil War Era too.