Enameled Leather

Tailor Pete

Sergeant
I have SOOOO many questions that have built up during my absence. Question for you headgear folks.

Was the period process for enameling leather similar to that of enameling canvas with respect to the solution used?

As a follow-up, has anyone here successfully replicated the enameled leather finish in their projects?

My son wants to make a kepi with just such a bill, and much to my embarrassment, I didn't have a solution for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

From the little I have read on enameled leather it is quite a bit more involved process than tarred canvas. If you are only interested in making one cap I would suggest contacting someone who makes caps with proper enameled bills and seeing if they would sell you a brim (and perhaps a chinstrap).

I would check with Cody Mobley at The Company Tailor, Don Smith at D.F. Smith Historical Reproductions, and Fred Adolphus at Adolphus Confederate Uniforms.
The first two would probably be better options as Mr. Adolphus has relocated to Germany for work. I was fortunate enough to get a cap from him several years ago and was astonished by the quality of his enameled leather. That is not to disparage the work of the other gents I have named. I'm sure you will find their leather to be of high quality as well.

Cheers,
Garrett

I have SOOOO many questions that have built up during my absence. Question for you headgear folks.

Was the period process for enameling leather similar to that of enameling canvas with respect to the solution used?

As a follow-up, has anyone here successfully replicated the enameled leather finish in their projects?

My son wants to make a kepi with just such a bill, and much to my embarrassment, I didn't have a solution for him. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I would reach out to Herman Oak Leather Tannery; the proper period term would be glazed or varnished leather. I understand that Herman Oak is one of the last surviving tanneries that uses the same processes, from the mid 19th century. You might have to go through one of their distributors unless you are setting up shop...….

Back