Election of 1860

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

David Ireland

Corporal
How did the Democrats in the 1860 election expect to not lose the popular vote by splitting their party?

If they had had one candidate, could they have won the electoral vote?

What about if John Bell stepped down?

Was Bell trying to split the vote to preserve the Union or did he actually expect to win?

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
[
How did the Democrats in the 1860 election expect to not lose the popular vote by splitting their party?
The secessionists wanted a split in order to force the South to secede, so the split was predetermined.
If they had had one candidate, could they have won the electoral vote?
Lincoln won more electoral votes than all the candidates combined making it seem unlikely. As in any what if there is a lot of ifs, buts, and contingencies.
What about if John Bell stepped down?
Lincoln gets the electoral vote to win.
Was Bell trying to split the vote to preserve the Union or did he actually expect to win?
Preserve the union.

David Ireland

Corporal
If there had been one secession candidate, would there have been a situation where Lincoln won the electoral vote but not the popular?

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
If there had been one secession candidate, would there have been a situation where Lincoln won the electoral vote but not the popular?
Perhaps if there had been one Democratic candidate. It's also possible that such a candidate could have won the Electoral College and the presidency.

The only way there could be a single secession candidate would be if Democratic and Constitutional Union voters in the northern states supported secession.

David Ireland

Corporal
There were Constitutional Union voters in the North? How did that party differ from Republicans.

I’m quite ignorant about this, but that’s why I’m here.

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
f they had had one candidate, could they have won the electoral vote?
That would require Lincoln's losing some electoral votes because he had more than all other candidates combined. The split, of and by itself, didn't guarantee secession. That was premeditated as a reaction to Lincoln winning the election - they had decided, in advance, that the Republican victory would be the trigger for launching into secession.

David Ireland

Corporal
That would require Lincoln's losing some electoral votes because he had more than all other candidates combined. The split, of and by itself, didn't guarantee secession. That was premeditated as a reaction to Lincoln winning the election - they had decided, in advance, that the Republican victory would be the trigger for launching into secession.

Carronade

1st Lieutenant
There were Constitutional Union voters in the North? How did that party differ from Republicans.

I’m quite ignorant about this, but that’s why I’m here.
There were some; you can google or wiki the election results. They were mainly in the southern and border states. The CU party only came in to being for the 1860 election, just for the purpose of preserving the Union, so their intention was to avoid dealing with slavery for the time being. I guess they were hoping that if the country didn't fall apart in 1860 something could be worked out, although that hadn't happened so far.

Lots of us, myself included, are here to learn. I'm sure you'll also contribute some things as time goes by. Welcome to the forum.

Dom71

Sergeant
Also, why did the split guarantee secession?
the split ticket allows for Lincoln to win the election. Lincoln is part of a party that is only in the north. Southern states believe their voice is nullified with his election. And believe he will not only forbid slavery in the territories but eventually abolish it altogether. South Carolina in particular made it clear his victory would cause them to consider secession.

that's the basics of it I believe. Others may have a more detailed answer.

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Good thing to be able to tell these folks who want to get rid of the electoral college.
Yes. Without the electoral college I think there would be dozens of political parties and total chaos at election time. Madison, Hamilton, et. al. were pretty smart. I do think that the winner-take-all aspect of electoral votes should be changed to the number of electoral votes being the same percentage as the popular vote total in each state, like it is in a couple states.