Period Eggnog

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
There is never enough eggnog for the holidays. This recipe is from "Old Time Recipes To Enjoy" "The Kentucky Explorer Magazine".

Egg Nog

"Six eggs, one pound of sugar, two pints of rich cream, and one pint of whiskey, and one half pint of Jamaican rum. Beat all six eggs separately, beat yolks well, mix sugar and whiskey and rum together; whip the cream, add whites of eggs and cream last. Save a little whiskey and cream for the next morning, as egg nog is best made overnight."

This is one that seems quite strong. It sure sounds like a Kentucky version of egg nog. This way egg nog spelling by this recipe.

Cheers!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

WJC

There is never enough eggnog for the holidays. This recipe is from "Old Time Recipes To Enjoy" "The Kentucky Explorer Magazine".

Egg Nog

"Six eggs, one pound of sugar, two pints of rich cream, and one pint of whiskey, and one half pint of Jamaican rum. Beat all six eggs separately, beat yolks well, mix sugar and whiskey and rum together; whip the cream, add whites of eggs and cream last. Save a little whiskey and cream for the next morning, as egg nog is best made overnight."

This is one that seems quite strong. It sure sounds like a Kentucky version of egg nog. This way egg nog spelling by this recipe.

Cheers!
Thanks for posting this 'classic' recipe. Back then people seem to have imbibed more than most of us do today and seem to have a higher tolerance to the effects of alcohol.
Nonetheless, I'll volunteer to test this recipe....
One thing is certain, with or without alcohol, it has to be better than that stuff they sell in cartons in the supermarket around the holidays.

Donna, that sounds a lot like the egg nog we drank in college. it was very strong but tasty. It did not mix very well with beer. We were in college though. My remember one fraternity Christmas party we had, we mixed up a lot of it. It was popular stuff that night. I don't remember much of hangover though. I guess I liked beer better. Thank you for the recipe @donna. Now I am sounding like the Waltons, the Recipe.

Another good recipe (adult version) :

Ingredients: 1 cup bourbon, 1 cup brandy, 1 cup Tia Maria*,
12 eggs, quart cream, quart half & half, 1/2 lb powdered sugar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions: Separate eggs and combine booze and yolks and whisk in 1/2 lb of powdered sugar.
Store in fridge for 24 hrs. Keep the whites chilled also.

24 hrs later, whip cream in large bowl until thick, then add half & half and the yoke/booze mix.

Add the egg whites and whip till frothy.

Chill for a while before serving.
Source

One thing is certain, with or without alcohol, it has to be better than that stuff they sell in cartons in the supermarket around the holidays.
So true . . . however if you're in a pinch, it's amazing how some Bacardi Superior Silver Label can enhance that supermarket nog. :smoke:

Last edited:
My son#3 made a big batch of homemade eggnog last Christmas. However, he pasteurized the eggs first. Evidently in years past, salmonella was not the problem it is now. You can find directions for pasteurising eggs online. Done properly, it doesn't affect the quality of either yolks or whites. Children and those who want to avoid alcohol can also enjoy the eggnog.

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Years ago in Louisville, Ky., there was diary called Oscar Ewing. My Dad worked for them for a few years. They made the best eggnog. Otherwise, unless homemade hard to find really good eggnog.

John Winn do you remember Oscar Ewing?

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Another recipe for eggnog:

Alabama Planters Eggnog

1 dozen eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 quart dark rum
10 ounces of bourbon
4 ounces of brandy
1 ounce Meyer Rum (Planter's Punch)
2 quarts whole milk
grated nutmeg

Separate eggs. Beat yolks with 1 1/2 cups sugar. Slowly stir in the spirits/ Add milk. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
Beat egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into eggnog. just before serving. Grate fresh nutmeg on top.

Makes 1 gallon. This is strong so be careful how many cups you have and not for children. Will keep about 2 weeks in refrigerator.

Have Joyous Holidays!