• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sides Egg Balls

egg balls
(from The Improved Housewife: Or, Book of Receipts, by A. L. Webster, 1844)

Ingredients:

4 eggs​
1 tsp. flour​
parsley​
a little salt​
a little black pepper or cayenne​

Instructions:

Boil four eggs ten minutes; when they are quite cold, put the yolks into a mortar, with the yolk of a raw egg, a teaspoonful of flour, some chopped parsley, a little salt, a little black pepper or cayenne; rub them well together, and roll them into small balls, and boil them two minutes.​

This is one of the weirder recipes I've come across lately! Part of me thinks - will those hold up boiling? And the other part thinks - what about the egg whites??

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to google egg balls. Found old Pennsylvania Dutch Recipe for them. They made almost identical to your recipe. They are put in soup and boiled for a few minutes.

Also found egg balls for Lent. It was in 1949 Catholic Cookbook. Somewhat similar.

I can see them as an addition to soup. Frankly, the volume of five yolks, a teaspoon of flour and a few spices wouldn't yield much. We get a dozen eggs each week from the milkman and sometimes they pile up. Maybe one week when I have too many and my husband starts to fret I'll try this and report back!

Back