Ed Bearss

gjpratt

First Sergeant
Just received this note from Tom Broadfoot and reposting here.

Ed is now 97, and confined to his apartment. He is quite hard of hearing so phone calls and visits are not beneficial.

He much enjoys and appreciates letters, as his wonderful caretaker daughter Jenny says “letters make his day.”

So – consider taking a few minutes to write Ed. Ideas: talk about the books he authored, or recall a tour or speech he gave, thank him for his service as a Marine and a Parks historian; pen any stories you have of the Civil War. If you’ve purchased any books from our recent catalogues of Ed’s books, (he’s downsizing his collection), tell him how pleased you are to have books from his collection, etc., etc. Anything.

Ed probably won’t reply so don’t ask him questions or request he sign books, etc.

Ed thanks you – Jenny thanks you – and thank yourself. Thank you.

Tom Broadfoot

PS Missives are better with larger script than smaller – perhaps 12-14 point or equivalent. (This email is in 12 point Calibri type. Ed’s address below is in 14 point Times New Roman type.)

ED BEARSS

XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed is now 97, and confined to his apartment. He is quite hard of hearing so phone calls and visits are not beneficial.

He much enjoys and appreciates letters, as his wonderful caretaker daughter Jenny says “letters make his day.”

So – consider taking a few minutes to write Ed. Ideas: talk about the books he authored, or recall a tour or speech he gave, thank him for his service as a Marine and a Parks historian; pen any stories you have of the Civil War. If you’ve purchased any books from our recent catalogues of Ed’s books, (he’s downsizing his collection), tell him how pleased you are to have books from his collection, etc., etc. Anything.

Ed probably won’t reply so don’t ask him questions or request he sign books, etc.

Tom Broadfoot

PS Missives are better with larger script than smaller – perhaps 12-14 point or equivalent. (This email is in 12 point Calibri type. Ed’s address below is in 14 point Times New Roman type.)

ED BEARSS
For more years than I know,Ed was always the January speaker at the Houston CWRT. The past 2 years he was not able to for health and travel reasons. Last year,all concerned agreed that the arrangement had to end for his health. It was a sad time for all concerned to face that reality.

I might have to go on ahead and write a letter. I can't say I've ever actually owned one of his books, or seen him doing a tour, but what work of his I've read has always been extremely informative. Lord knows he's done enough for the CW historical community to earn instant respect. Plus he's a WW2 vet, that's something to warrant the highest respect as veterans of that war get thin on the ground.

Then there was this, which I always thought was apocryphal until I asked him directly during a tour:

He was instrumental in the discovery of the USS Cairo, the Union ironclad that sank in December 1862. He appeared on the TV show $64,000 Challenge to raise the money to bring the vessel to the surface. His topic was the US Civil War :wink:

I'm going to send a copy of this letter along with a note as well. Thanks for the update.
1579183799623.png

bearss.jpg

Then there was this, which I always thought was apocryphal until I asked him directly during a tour:

He was instrumental in the discovery of the USS Cairo, the Union ironclad that sank in December 1862. He appeared on the TV show $64,000 Challenge to raise the money to bring the vessel to the surface. His topic was the US Civil War :wink:
I've related my encounter with Mr. Bearss (by chance) many times on this forum.

I say once more, what everyone saw on TV . . . is the same man one encountered "in person".

I still can't believe my luck, when his charted tour bus pulled up next to us at Brice's Crossroads.

He was the first one to leap off the bus and start barking orders to his tour group.

I loved every minute of watching of Ed Bearss in action !

:smile coffee:

Tom Broadfoot

ED BEARSS
I have related in the Vicksburg threads about my call from Ed Bearss, in 2011, he was kind enough to call in response to my letter to him about the fortifications at Vicksburg. He talked about which ones had been rebuilt by the CCC and some programs in the 1960s. Taking the time to call a stranger was quite a nice thing. I recollect it as one of the best times ever.

I didn't know where to put this , So I thought this best places Is there a news forum? on things never see one but regardless its her had the pleasure on meeting him few occasion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edwin Cole Bearss, Civil War historian extraordinaire, turns 97 this June. Unfortunately, Ed’s health is starting to fail. Tom Broadfoot, of Broadfoot Publishing, released an email today stating, in part, the following:
“Ed Bearss, decorated Marine, wounded at Guadalcanal, author of many Civil War books, leader of thousands of Civil War battlefield tours, sought-after Civil War speaker, Chief Historian of the National Park Service. If your interest is the Civil War Ed has contributed greatly to your interest.

Ed is now 96, and confined to his apartment. He is quite hard of hearing so phone calls and visits are not beneficial.

He much enjoys and appreciates letters, as his wonderful caretaker daughter Jenny says ‘letters make his day.’

So consider taking a few minutes to write to Ed. Ideas: talk about the books he authored, or recall a tour or speech he gave, thank him for his service as a Marine and a Parks historian; pen any stories you have of the Civil War. If you’ve purchased any books from our recent catalogue of Ed’s books...tell him how pleased you are to have books from his collection...

Letters may be mailed to:
Ed Bearss
XXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

We love you Ed and no words but Thank for you service and educating the rest of us …

Tears fall like rain

Steven Noel Cone

We had another thread concerning this pop up a couple days ago. I've never been fortunate enough to meet him or get a copy of any of his books, but as I type this I'm listening to him in a video from April 2019 going over his whole life and the lessons he learned. My God I wish I could meet him! I've only ever heard good things, and at CWT Vicksburg I heard a lot of first hand stories of him and I can now say with confidence I believe them a hundred percent!

Its a two hour video, but I suspect its now a treasure. When hearing this news I initially thought of writing him a letter thanking him for everything he's done, then I sat on the fence now I'll probably do it. The man is no doubt an irreplaceable treasure, and God willing his work will continue to educate and inspire for centuries to come.

Listening to his WW2 stories and seeing the gleam in his eye I'd expect he is someone many drinks could be enjoyed with.

EDIT- If you don't like "colorful" language, suck it up because this Marine pulls no punches and God bless him for it.

Last edited:
I'm deleting Ed's personal information from the public side of the website. If @scone or @gjpratt wants to share that info, they can and should do so privately, I don't want some person with less honorable intentions knocking on Ed's door today, tomorrow, or ever, because we were careless with his personal information.

Thanks for your understanding!

Back