Dug Real Gold C.S.A. Cuff Button?? Thoughts?

TSmith.TN

Cadet
Greetings all,

I am new to the forum and have an item I purchased that I need some help with. I bought a dug CSA cuff button online. When I received it, I decided I would try to clean it up a bit. The dirt was pretty caked on and took a lot of effort to get it off. I finally got most of the buttons face cleaned up but the button didn't look the normal brass color. I decided to test the button for gold content. It tested 14k positive. Not gold gilt, but the base metal itself. I talked to the person I bought it from to try to track down some history on the button. He lived in northern Georgia and had bought the button along with some other dug items at an antique mall in a small town outside of Atlanta 5 to 7 years ago. Thats all the info I could find on its provenance. I can't find any information on real gold confederate buttons anywhere on the internet either.

Does anyone have any info on this type button? Opinions? Here are some photos, partially cleaned and how I bought and received it. I have not fully cleaned the button, especially around the sides and back.

$_57.JPG

s-l500.jpg

fullsizeoutput_51df.jpeg

DSCN3925.JPG

fullsizeoutput_51e0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_51e1.jpeg

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. This button is not solid gold but is a gold gilt. From the back of the button it is a post war button and not from the Civil War period. Many of these were made post war for Confederate Veterans. Still a nice button.

With the flaking on the front maybe $25
With the flaking on the front maybe $25
Thank you for the information. A UCV item does make sense. However, I know the picture may look like it is gold gilt thats flaking, but those specs are actually uncleaned dirt, not flaking. When I gold tested the button, I rubbed a solid 1 inch metal line on the scratch pad. It tested 14K positive. I don't think there would be enough gilt layer on the button to test like that. Also, there was no brass underlay. I think I will take it to a local jewelry store for testing, just to confirm its gold content. Thank you again for your expertise. This is a wonderful forum!

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum!

Greetings all,

I am new to the forum and have an item I purchased that I need some help with. I bought a dug CSA cuff button online. When I received it, I decided I would try to clean it up a bit. The dirt was pretty caked on and took a lot of effort to get it off. I finally got most of the buttons face cleaned up but the button didn't look the normal brass color. I decided to test the button for gold content. It tested 14k positive. Not gold gilt, but the base metal itself. I talked to the person I bought it from to try to track down some history on the button. He lived in northern Georgia and had bought the button along with some other dug items at an antique mall in a small town outside of Atlanta 5 to 7 years ago. Thats all the info I could find on its provenance. I can't find any information on real gold confederate buttons anywhere on the internet either.

Does anyone have any info on this type button? Opinions? Here are some photos, partially cleaned and how I bought and received it. I have not fully cleaned the button, especially around the sides and back.

View attachment 414223

View attachment 414224

View attachment 414225

View attachment 414226

View attachment 414227

View attachment 414228
Greetings all,

View attachment 414223

View attachment 414224

View attachment 414225

View attachment 414226

View attachment 414227

View attachment 414228
Greetings all,

View attachment 414223

View attachment 414224

View attachment 414225

View attachment 414226

View attachment 414227

View attachment 414228
Welcome from Soldiers Who Fought on Horseback Cavalry forum.
In addition to the expert analysis of @ucvrelics - FYI - it’s usually not a good idea to try clearing any dug relic beyond determining authenticity. If you think it needs cleaning for “show purposes “ take it to a reputable dealer for advice. I ve seen some very nice dug items ruined by improper or unnecessary cleaning. Just my 50+ years advice as a dinosaur relic hunter . Thanks

Welcome from Soldiers Who Fought on Horseback Cavalry forum.
In addition to the expert analysis of @ucvrelics - FYI - it’s usually not a good idea to try clearing any dug relic beyond determining authenticity. If you think it needs cleaning for “show purposes “ take it to a reputable dealer for advice. I ve seen some very nice dug items ruined by improper or unnecessary cleaning. Just my 50+ years advice as a dinosaur relic hunter . Thanks

Seems like a neat item and a great find! I’d imagine that gold buttons were quite rare and only used by wealthy officers on dress uniforms, if at all.

Thank you for the information. A UCV item does make sense. However, I know the picture may look like it is gold gilt thats flaking, but those specs are actually uncleaned dirt, not flaking. When I gold tested the button, I rubbed a solid 1 inch metal line on the scratch pad. It tested 14K positive. I don't think there would be enough gilt layer on the button to test like that. Also, there was no brass underlay. I think I will take it to a local jewelry store for testing, just to confirm its gold content. Thank you again for your expertise. This is a wonderful forum!
You can but I can tell you from the top photo it is not solid gold. Let us know what you find out.

Back