Don Troiani Artwork

“Onward Georgians”
Battle of Fredericksburg, VA December 13, 1862 -
Captain John T. Jordan rallies the 49th Georgia on the R.F.& P. Railroad
tumblr_oo4kvcfOZ81trfrvwo1_1280.jpg

What an amazing talent! Troiani captures the images formed in my mind, while reading War memoirs and diaries in the writing of my volume Trapped in the Crossfire. Surely, he gained inspiration from reading those diaries, too.

i love his art and studies.
sorry if with that painting, one i prefer, i made a double post with one preview.
i realized then .. once the 'likes' already started :D .. it's real a great picture

anyway, to make you forgive me, here a great site of militar histotry paintings pinturasdeguerra.tumblr.com

CSA marines

43e3aea088b82a3505d2f8ec9becb1fa.jpg

52072.jpg

This Troiani print titled Ranger Mosby has already been featured, but glutton for punishment that I am for these things, after visiting Gettysburg two weeks ago and finding not one but TWO of them for sale at The Horse Soldier shop there, followed by a visit to Mosby Country in Northern Virginia, I just couldn't resist calling to order this one of them for $200. I believe this to be a good price in today's still-depressed market, though admittedly not as good as getting his Stonewall Jackson at Cedar Mountain three years ago for $155! (Both prices were plus an additional $15 shipping.)

Last edited:
View attachment 191409 Not a great shot but here is an oldie but goodie of Don's from 1981
Looks like the Hardee flag of the 17th & 18th Texas Cavalry (dismounted) in Granbury's Brigade, however they wouldn't have been using that flag while still mounted. They were permanently dismounted in 1863 and the flag was issued in early 1864.

17th and 18th Texas2.jpg

View attachment 300818
Cleburne at Chickamauga Maj. Gen. Patrick Cleburne and his staff help distribute ammunition to the men of the 2nd Tennessee Infantry during the Battle of Chickamauga.

View attachment 132093
The 33rd Alabama Infantry, in Wood's/Lowery's Brigade, Cleburne's Division.

View attachment 132094
This is a depiction of each regiment of the Texas Brigade in the Gettysburg Campaign. From left to right: 1st Texas Infantry, 5th Texas Infantry, 4th Texas Infantry, and 3rd Arkansas Infantry band member. The soldier of the 1st Texas, due to the summer heat, has removed his frock coat. He holds an M1842 Springfield smoothbore musket, which were issued to the regiment earlier in the war, some being carried up until 1864. The 5th Texas soldier is armed with a two-band Enfield and a saber bayonet, and the 4th Texas a P53 Enfield. The latter three appear to be wearing Richmond Depot uniforms, the 5th Texas soldier in blue-gray cloth imported from England.

View attachment 124150
The Gray Comaches Col. Elija "Lige" White's 35th Virginia Cavalry Battalion charges up Fleetwood Hill at the Battle of Brandy Station. They smashed right into the 1st New Jersey Cavalry, fighting with pistol and sabers at close range, and also overrunning and capturing three guns from Captain Joseph W. Martin's 6th Battery New York Light Artillery. Col. White is depicted on gray horse at center.

View attachment 132095
The Forlorn Hope 1st Maine Heavy Artillery at the Second Battle of Petersburg, June 18, 1864.

View attachment 132096
Men of Arkansas Albert Sidney Johnston rallies an Arkansas regiment at Shiloh. He hold a cup he had taken from the looted Federal camps. Proclaiming that cup was his "spoils of war," he used it to lead men into battle.

View attachment 132097
Band of Brothers The 2nd Maryland Infantry's charge at Spangler's Spring, east of Culp's Hill at Gettysburg.

View attachment 117684
Retreat By Recoil The last stand of the 9th Massachusetts Battery at the Trostle Barn, Gettysburg, July 2, 1863.
Just a quick note about the "Band of Brothers". Although the monument on the battlefield refers to the 2nd Maryland, these soldiers actually referred to themselves as the 1st Maryland, CSA. This potential confusion may explain why Pvt. M.F. Knott (who served in the 1st MD, CSA) is buried among the Union dead in the Maryland section of the Gettysburg National Cemetery.

A few more that haven't been posted yet.

View attachment 117701
"McPherson's Ridge" General Buford directs the defense of the ridge at the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863.

Somehow, I missed this thread.

This particular print has a great deal of meaning to me for a variety of reasons. First, and foremost, it was my idea. Don used my research on Buford and Dave Shultz's research on Calef's battery to do this painting. It's because of my work that Buford is correctly shown on a gray horse, and I was the one who suggested to him that he include Myles Keogh. Another reason is that I am the author of the essay on the Certificate of Authenticity. Third is because of the incredible detail--down to the pile of horse poop in the road. Finally, Don personally signed my print to me, and my print is one of the 80 printer's proofs (mine is number 37). See the below.

This hangs on the wall here at my office.

IMG_1806.jpg

I've spoken with Don at some length about the research that he does. As someone pointed out, he had--he has since sold most of it--a very large collection of items to make sure that he was depicting them accurately.

Ten years or so ago, Dale Gallon was commissioned by Norwich University to do a painting of Lt. Robert Williston fighting his guns on the second day of the Battle of Trevilian Station (Williston was a Norwich alum) since Williston was awarded the MOH for his valor that day. I ended up making a special trip to Gettysburg in order to take Dale and a representative of Norwich on a battlefield tour in order to make sure that Dale got the terrain right. He took lots of photos and made a few sketches, and not surprisingly, the terrain is correct. The image of the Gallon print is below.

My point being that these artists take this work seriously and they work hard to get it right.

A12.1[1].jpg

This print reminds me of a portion of DT's print "The Grey Wall" (post 268).
Yes it does
Somehow, I missed this thread.

This particular print has a great deal of meaning to me for a variety of reasons. First, and foremost, it was my idea. Don used my research on Buford and Dave Shultz's research on Calef's battery to do this painting. It's because of my work that Buford is correctly shown on a gray horse, and I was the one who suggested to him that he include Myles Keogh. Another reason is that I am the author of the essay on the Certificate of Authenticity. Third is because of the incredible detail--down to the pile of horse poop in the road. Finally, Don personally signed my print to me, and my print is one of the 80 printer's proofs (mine is number 37). See the below.

This hangs on the wall here at my office.

View attachment 361645
Hi Eric,
We have talked a few times at the Louisville Round Table meetings. I do remember your excellent talk on General Buford. I bought the book and when I got home discovered I already had it lol. I talk with Don fairly often sometimes trying to get him to do another cavalry piece for me. My avatar was a commission piece he did for me of the 2nd KY. I think his rendering of equine subjects is some of the best I've seen. Even going back 40 years. Any chance you will make Louisville again this fall?

Noel Walker

In 1973 Don Troiani started doing a series of paintings of American Revolution uniforms for American Heritage magazine. These are interesting examples of some of Troiani's earlier works.

Yes it does

Hi Eric,
We have talked a few times at the Louisville Round Table meetings. I do remember your excellent talk on General Buford. I bought the book and when I got home discovered I already had it lol. I talk with Don fairly often sometimes trying to get him to do another cavalry piece for me. My avatar was a commission piece he did for me of the 2nd KY. I think his rendering of equine subjects is some of the best I've seen. Even going back 40 years. Any chance you will make Louisville again this fall?

Noel Walker

Sure, I remember you, Noel. Thanks for identifying yourself.

The fall is still a mystery. You probably know that I was scheduled for this spring, but it got scrubbed thanks to COVID-19. The jury's still out for the fall. As of right now, I haven't yet been rescheduled, but that's not at all unusual--none of my canceled appearances have been rescheduled to date.

I can't believe I've never seen this thread before, there's Troiani works here I never knew of!

I wouldn't call myself an artwork diehard fan, but I love a well done piece of art. Troiani has always been my second favorite, mainly for his research and attention to detail.

I've caught a lot of flack for it, but I'm afraid my favorite would be John Paul Strain. Many people have hurled hateful comments my way, (mainly diehard reenactors who look at any artist other Troiani as a waste of air), but with Strain, I absolutely love what the detail he puts into the skies of his work. Not to mention snow scenes. Paintings like Escape From Fort Donelson, Fire in the Sky, and others have always stood out to me, and a lot of people hate my guts because I said I like it more than Troiani's work.

I know its committing heresy to a lot of folks, but my tastes are my own. Don Troiani is way better in my book than say Mort Kuntsler, I just like Strain's work more. Also I think we can all agree there's some horrible CW artwork out there that Troiani's work puts to shame with a vengeance.

@Rusk County Avengers I am a big fan of Troiani's works myself. Fortunately, I have an understanding wife who shares my appreciation of them so we had decorated our place a la Troiani so to speak. We have some other artists too however. He never did any Napoleonic subjects to my knowledge and I have several of them by other artists.

A couple of my wife's friends used to give her flack about how she could tolerate those kinds of pictures, (battle scenes), on her walls, but she still insists she loved them.

I guess it's all just a matter of taste. I despise a great deal of what is considered modern art but I am certainly a minority there. Who can explain taste in anything? Some people like Fords, some people like Chevys, some people like Subarus.

John

Sure, I remember you, Noel. Thanks for identifying yourself.

The fall is still a mystery. You probably know that I was scheduled for this spring, but it got scrubbed thanks to COVID-19. The jury's still out for the fall. As of right now, I haven't yet been rescheduled, but that's not at all unusual--none of my canceled appearances have been rescheduled to date.
Well let's hope it can get worked out. As I've told you before, One Continuous Fight is probably my favorite ACW book I've read to date

Back