Don Troiani Artwork

View attachment 64380
"Three Medals of Honor Battle of New Market Heights" USCT
Here's a slightly higher res version. It depicts the attack of the 6th USCT at New Market Heights on Sept. 29, 1864. After the color-guard was shot down, Lt. Nathan Edgerton and Sgt. Major Thomas R. Hawkins are seen coming to rescue the blue Regimental colors, and First Sergeant Alexander Kelly carrying away the National colors.
Further info here: http://www.toysoldierbrigade.com/th...ttle-of-new-market-heights-september-29-1864/

1040442_474743129267093_1884585763_o.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
A few not often seen unit studies that I don't believe have been posted yet:

c53a9eb7f98bd9efe52407712806bfee_M.jpg

19th Alabama Infantry, Spring 1862
They were in the Gladden-Deas Alabama Brigade in the AoT.

1d05de4b50ede21b7617d543f5f98a74_M.jpg

21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Corporal, Company C, September 1863
The 21st Ohio is widely known for its famous stand on Snodgrass Hill at Chickamauga. They were armed with Colt Model 1855 Revolving Rifles. The corporal also wears a Hardee Hat, which was typical of Federal troops in the Western theater.

cca34d17b5186097267678a76444a0b0_M.jpg

Longstreet's Corps, September 1863
When Longstreet's Corps traveled west to reinforce the Army of Tennessee prior to Chickamauga, a large number of troops were wearing their recently issued uniforms of blue-gray English kersey wool. They caused some confusion along with a few friendly fire incidents at Chickamauga, as the uniforms were easily mistaken for the Federal blue.

1f9467ed0ebd32e9dc822d63c55d5401_M.jpg

2nd Connecticut Heavy Artillery, 1864
Obviously what looks like a depiction of the regiment at the Siege of Petersburg. The 2nd Connecticut Heavies were one of the heavy artillery regiments sent to the Army of the Potomac later in the war (May, 1864) to fight as infantry. They saw their first major action at Cold Harbor, where they lost heavily in a frontal attack on June 1. It was credited with temporarily breaking through the Confederate lines and capturing 300 prisoners. It later participated in the early stages of the Siege of Petersburg, the 1864 Shenandoah Campaign, the breakthrough at Petersburg in 1865, and the Appomattox Campaign.

My favorite DT print is (I think) is called, "The Grey Wall" but I don't think I saw it posted here. In the mid 80's I was doing some volunteer work at the Confederate Museum in New Orleans. They had a leak in their roof and the print had some water spots on it. (I could never find them). I don't remember if they gave me the print or sold it to me at a deep discount.
I paint miniature figures and when I lived in NOLA, used to sell them to a shop in the French Quarter called La Petite Soldier Shop. The owner would pay me $150 per figure and sell them for $300. I can't tell you how many confederate flag bearers I painted. Who would guess a confederate flag would be such a bit hit in the deep south? I use DT prints for ideas for the colors of uniforms.

rgds,
Booner

My favorite DT print is (I think) is called, "The Grey Wall" but I don't think I saw it posted here. In the mid 80's I was doing some volunteer work at the Confederate Museum in New Orleans. They had a leak in their roof and the print had some water spots on it. (I could never find them). I don't remember if they gave me the print or sold it to me at a deep discount.
I paint miniature figures and when I lived in NOLA, used to sell them to a shop in the French Quarter called La Petite Soldier Shop. The owner would pay me $150 per figure and sell them for $300. I can't tell you how many confederate flag bearers I painted. Who would guess a confederate flag would be such a bit hit in the deep south? I use DT prints for ideas for the colors of uniforms.

rgds,
Booner
I believe this is it, had it saved on my computer. Looking at the painting, the troops depicted are from the Army of Tennessee. They carry the Army of Tennessee's 1864-65 rectangular-shaped battle flag and a number of the men are wearing Columbus Depot jackets. I don't think Troiani was depicting a particular battle here, at least not that I am aware of, but obviously something late war. Anyway, it's a nice one; you're lucky to have it.

Btw I see you're new, so Welcome!

af3072a0544b0cbb52d961c3ca2d67da.jpg

It being the anniv. of Pickett's Charge, I thought it would be neat to gather all of Troiani's Pickett's Charge artwork in one post. :thumbsup:

980857_461478793926860_1406427620_o.jpg

"Emmitsburg Road" Maj. Gen. Isaac R. Trimble leads his men in the attack on Cemetery Ridge on July 3. Here, they are crossing the Emmitsburg Road. I believe that's the Brian Farmhouse in the background.

194095_116557175085692_54750_o.jpg

"Toward the Angle" depicting Garnett and Armistead's Brigades advancing toward the Copse of Trees. Armistead is seen in the right background, with hat stuck through sword.

966301_465928986815174_1428392200_o-jpg.jpg

"Rock of Erin" The Irish 69th Pennsylvania Volunteers of the Philadelphia Brigade desperately holding the stone wall by the Copse of Trees, fighting hand-to-hand with Garnett and Armistead's Brigades.

Wallcate_com - Don Troiani-Paintings (67).jpg

"Give Them Cold Steel, Boys" Armistead leads his men up and over the stone wall at the angle. In Don Troiani's Civil War Troiani said that this was "one of the most difficult paintings from a historical perspective I have ever undertaken. Recreating the fence lines, trees, fences and other features in the background was daunting, to say the least. I could have obscured everything with smoke, but that would have been the easy way out."

1014999_478416398899766_700156620_o.jpg

"The Highwatermark" Brig. Gen. Lewis Armistead leads his men over the stone wall and up to Cushing's guns, just before he is mortally wounded.

Troiani just recently posted this one on his FB page:

Expired Image Removed
"United States Civil War, Captain Walter S. Newhall of the 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry leads a handful of troopers into the the midst of the entire 13th Virginia Cavalry, July 3, 1863 at the battle of Gettysburg , July 3, 1863. Newhall was speared in the face by the Confederate flag bearer and unhorsed but survived the incident."

Last edited:
Not a new one, but I don't think this print has been posted here yet... and too lazy to sift through every page.

wallcate_com-don-troiani-paintings-16-jpg.jpg

Southern Cross, depicting the 11th Alabama Infantry of Wilcox's Brigade at the Battle of Glendale, June 30, 1862, fighting hand to hand with Meade's 4th and 7th Pennsylvania Reserves over the guns of Lt. Alanson M. Randol's Battery E, 1st U.S. Artillery. Color-bearer Charley McNeil is shown holding the 11th's colors atop one of the 12-pound bronze guns; he was shot down shortly after and his nephew, Billy, was also shot and killed trying to save the colors.

Back on the anniv. of Glendale/Frayser's Farm I posted an article on "the fight for Randol's guns," sort of centered around this print: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/battle-of-glendale-the-fight-for-randols-guns.115231/

In the painting of the 3rd Penn Cavalry, Captain Newhall is just about to be speared by the flagbearer; but the other reb to his left is about to hit him with his sword. But I noticed that the sword is bent almost 180 degrees. Any significance to that, or is it my imagination?

Wow! Troiani posted yet another new ACW painting on his FB page a few days ago. Titled "Give Us Hood," it depicts the 1st Texas Infantry cheering on their brigade commander, John B. Hood, during the Maryland Campaign. The 1st's "Wigfall flag" flies above the troops.

11040512_874629022611833_7338601971375516077_o.jpg

To elaborate, after Second Manassas Hood had refused to obey an order from the more senior Brig. Gen. Nathan "Shanks" Evans to hand over ambulances captured during the battle, which both generals thought they had earned the rights to. Evans had Hood placed under arrest, but Gen. Lee intervened, deciding to keep Hood with the army for the Maryland Campaign, though held in the rear and kept from his brigade (although he was technically acting commander of the division after the previous commander had left on medical furlough).

At the battle of South Mountain on September 14, 1862, Longstreet had been ordered to march his command from Hagerstown, Md. to Boonsboro in support of D.H. Hill's men at Turner's Gap. Gen. Lee was following Longstreet's men, and as the Texas Brigade passed by they called out, "Give Us Hood!" Lee raised his hat and said, "You shall have him, gentlemen." Lee rode up to Hood - covered in a layer of dust from the rear of Longstreet's columns - and promised him that if he apologized for the incident with Evans then he would restore Hood back to command. Hood refused - twice - but nevertheless, Gen. Lee decided he would at least restore him back to his command for the battle. As Hood rode back to his men he was met with loud cheers as he passed by each regiment of the division - and probably a shrill Rebel Yell, too. Nothing ever came of Hood's arrest; he was promoted to major general in October and given full command of the division. Evans ended up getting most of the trouble from superiors. Only a few days after this jovial incident, however, Hood's division would be absolutely shot to shreds, the 1st Texas' colors and many of its men left lying in the infamous Cornfield at Antietam.

In the painting of the 3rd Penn Cavalry, Captain Newhall is just about to be speared by the flagbearer; but the other reb to his left is about to hit him with his sword. But I noticed that the sword is bent almost 180 degrees. Any significance to that, or is it my imagination?
Sorry, didn't see your post before. He's holding the sword back behind his head and the tip is pointing toward the viewer's position, so your looking from top to bottom down the blade.

Well I got some interesting news from Don, it seems he sold his Civil War and Pre Civil War collection to the Army everything except the Confederate stuff. Then said he was pretty much through doing any more Civil War subjects and is now going to concentrate on the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812

Well I got some interesting news from Don, it seems he sold his Civil War and Pre Civil War collection to the Army everything except the Confederate stuff. Then said he was pretty much through doing any more Civil War subjects and is now going to concentrate on the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812

Not surprising - I think the Revolution was his first love anyway but of course as we all know, the Civil War is what sells. In the early days back around 1990 or so, once I decided I wanted one, the only subject available at the original issue price of $125 was his George Washington; fortunately, that suited me fine because I had only recently began to study Washington and the Revolution heavily. It now hangs in my dining room along with several small original Currier & Ives and similar prints, several of which also feature Washington. Since then I've acquired three of his Civil War subjects, the most recent of which, Jackson is With You!, I also got pretty cheap ($155) since the bottom has fallen out of the collectables market, including art prints.

Back