Do we know how many blacks served with the Union Armed forces?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
We can add up all the USCT and all the black sailors, but does any one have a good guess on the number of other blacks who serve with, if not, in the Union Armed Forces?

Starting in 1863 the Union allowed black under cooks to enlist in the Union Army in "white" units. I have never seen good numbers for these black under cooks. How many black were teamsters? How many blacks were servents or personal cooks? There were also numerous blacks who built fortifications.

I have never seen good numbers but it was likely it was nearly 75 to 100 thousand.

I have read that many teamsters we black. Many Union regiments seemed to have a fair amount of black cooks and servents. I have never seen a good estimate.

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
We can add up all the USCT and all the black sailors, but does any one have a good guess on the number of other blacks who serve with, if not, in the Union Armed Forces?

Starting in 1863 the Union allowed black under cooks to enlist in the Union Army in "white" units. I have never seen good numbers for these black under cooks.
There is a book about them, but I don't recall the name.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
I would assume a Union officer's personal servants and cooks should be seen in the same light as Confederate officers servants and cooks. Same for black Union teamsters and blacks hired to build defensive works.

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
I would assume a Union officer's personal servants and cooks should be seen in the same light as Confederate officers servants and cooks.
Maybe. Maybe not. How many of the Union servants (hired for that purpose-not slaves) would rush on to a battlefield to retrieve their wounded employer?

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Maybe. Maybe not. How many of the Union servants (hired for that purpose-not slaves) would rush on to a battlefield to retrieve their wounded employer?
About the same percent as enslaved servants? Perhaps less, perhaps more, who knows?

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
How many slaves did this?
tiflin-2-jpg.jpg

Not a Union soldier perhaps, but not sure he lacked courage.