Forrest DNA sample for N.B. Forrest?

Forrest requested that he be buried in Elmwood Cemetery near his four brothers who all served in the Confederate Cavalry. As per his directions he was buried in Elmwood in 1877. However, his son William, gave the consent for his father and mother’s remains to be moved about 1 1/2 miles to Forrest Park in 1904.

Now that the remains are being removed and relocated once more, why in the world would they take DNA samples from Forrest’s bones? With all the indignities this intensely proud man’s body has suffered, why would you want to do more? He was positively ID when he was buried, interred and reburied so there is no need to further prove that it is Forrest’s remains!!
Regards
David
his bros. are still interred at elmwood? the history deplorables will try to move them too if they get wind of it.

his bros. are still interred at elmwood? the history deplorables will try to move them too if they get wind of it.
No doubt.

But from what I seen over the last few months, NBF is no longer a big issue as much as he was back in 2015.
Seems now "European Colonials" are the focus of those trying to erase history.

There are even current groups within the UK that are attempting to eradicate all memory of Admiral Horatio Nelson.
That man didn't give a hoot about colonies, he just wanted to perfect naval warfare back in the "Age of Sail".

But some of these groups continue to rant and lie that Nelson joined the Royal Navy only to exploit indigenous people within the British Empire.

WTF ?

" Lord have mercy ... and bless their little hearts "

But I do hope Nelson & Forrest have met each other in the afterlife.

:smoke:

Maybe the Department of Defense is planning on cloning on army of super-soldiers.
Bad call! Super big mistake!

Too many modern Generals and other officers would meet the "peril of their life" all over the world, then the clones would start in on the politicians!

On second thought, maybe not a bad call....

There are even current groups within the UK that are attempting to eradicate all memory of Admiral Horatio Nelson.
That man didn't give a hoot about colonies, he just wanted to perfect naval warfare back in the "Age of Sail".

But some of these groups continue to rant and lie that Nelson joined the Royal Navy only to exploit indigenous people within the British Empire.
I've not heard of this and am quite bewildered...

I have supported the request for DNA to be extracted from Gen Forrest's remains. It will open up a fascinating avenue of research and will prove/disprove some artifacts, plus answer the question of whether he fathered a child (Narcissa) with his slave Catherine. I am close friends with the owner of the Forrest vest and the DNA extraction from a textile 160 years old is a "crapshoot," plus it will necessitate the destruction of part of the textile.

This is likely the only chance to obtain an undisputed DNA sample from Forrest's remains.

Is there a specific reason to study his DNA, i.e., a record of family illness, ancestry research, and others?

I'd like to see a sample of Grant's DNA to test my theory that he lacked the gene that is responsible for producing the alcohol metabolizing enzymes, and would account for his appearing intoxicated with only a small amount of wine or whiskey.
No, no particular reason. I was just curious if it might happen. This is a once in a lifetime event. Thought it might be a good time to get it. With respect of course.

Absolutely !

I'm all for using DNA tests to shed light on any historic mystery.

But this is not a mystery.

Forrest's death in late 1877, is better documented than many famous figures that passed after World War II.
After posting that comment, I've changed my opinion.

Obtaining an original DNA sample from Forrest is probably a good idea.

There's no doubt that a real DNA test would shut-up a lot of "fake claimants" that pretend to have a Forrest legacy.

Last edited:
Back